Part 13

~

"Sometimes your light shines so bright that it blinds people from seeing who you really are."

-Shannon L.Alder

~

Weeks passed by like days. And every moment with Emma felt like it flew by a hundred times faster than the ones without her.

October ended with Emma and I spending Halloween together at her house eating candy.

Things have been going well for me, or at least better.

Except for the fact that I haven't figured out what the heck Em and I are yet. And, I still haven't figured out why  Devon and Em are so friendly with each other.

Not knowing is slowly eating away at my soul.

I hate it when I come to her house and he's already there. I hate it when he makes her smile and makes her laugh.

"What are you thinking about?"

You. I answered in my head as I turned to Emma. She was turned towards my general direction waiting for me to say something.

"Nothing," I answered curtly as I sat up in her bed.

"Oh." She said awkwardly before turning away from me.

She began to play with the ends of her hair.

She's nervous.

I've noticed she plays with the ends of her hair when she's nervous. While she runs her fingers through it all when she's upset.

I didn't know what to say to make this moment less tense.

I didn't reply as I looked at her.

He hair was loose and laid down on her shoulders as if a curtain created to shield her.

Her ever-present glasses were just that, ever present.

Her pale pink lips were in a frown. Her cheeks seemed flushed.

There was a knock on Emma's room door. Neither of us responded to the knocking before in walked Rebecca.

"Hey Em," Rebecca said happily to Emma.

Rebecca glanced over at me but didn't say anything.

Well hello to you too.

"Hi, Bec." Emma responded in a small voice.

I think something is bothering her.

I don't know what it could be. She had been acting strangely since I came over here nearly an hour ago.

"Did he-" Rebecca started to ask but was cut off by Emma quickly answering "No."

"But it-" Rebecca started to say but Emma quickly cut her off saying "I know."

I felt so lost right now as they talked back in forth in riddles.

I felt like I was missing part of the conversation.

"Are you-" Rebecca started to ask but was once again cut off by Emma saying "I was about to before you interrupt."

Rebecca looked at Emma before looking back over towards me.

Her eyes stayed on me a moment longer before she cleared her throat.

"Well okay, I'm going to the movies with Devon. I'll call you after it's over so you can tell me how it goes." Rebecca said quickly not making any sense.