23. The Note

Caleb-

I wake up angry. Sleep, for some people is a good way to resolve the problems festering in their heads. But, it's not that way for me. See, my problems keep me up all night and then in the last few hours of time designated for sleep I crash and wake up still exhausted and newly infuriated. Today is not an exception. I understand how she feels, I do. It's just that I know how I feel more. And she made me feel insubstantial. She left me feeling like I wasn't enough to make her happy. Honestly, I'm done feeling insubstantial.

Walking out to the living room I find the couch empty the blankets and pillow she'd used to sleep neatly folded and piled on the coffee table. I tell myself that everything is fine. Everything is fine. But, I'm left unconvinced and afraid. The tiles of the kitchen feel cold; this whole place is cold. I assume that she's in the garden. She has to be in the garden right? I'm reaching into the cabinet for a coffee cup when I see it. A small slip of paper, no longer than than the length of my middle toe and no wider than the diameter of my coffee cup. I set the cup down and step forward carefully.

It's not what you think it is. It's not.

I read it. I try not to fall apart.

Take care of him.

- Q

My attempts are futile...

She broke me a long time ago.

***

Hey! So I know that these updates are way shorter than normal, I hope you guys realize that this has a purpose... It is NOT laziness. But, ya'll already knew that, obviously, because you're all super smart. *that was not sarcasm I swear* After all you've made it this far in my story... *wink wink*

Thanks guys!

Lidi

P.S. I'm serious none of that was sarcasm.

P.S.S. I know that the song is longer than the chapter, but it's a really beautiful song and I loved the idea of it correlating with this chapter and the last one! Please, give it a listen!