Chapter Thirty-Three

"Did you know that there was a new attending starting today?" I asked Callie as I joined her at the nurse's station in the emergency room.

"Huh?" She glanced up from the chart she'd been looking at, seeming to have been distracted.

"A new attending?" I repeated for her.

"Right, Yang." She gave a small nod. "I thought she wasn't coming back until tomorrow?"

"Back?" I questioned, a brow raised.

"Uh, yeah. She used to work here." She told me, though she didn't seem to be paying much attention to our conversation. "Did her internship and residency here. She moved to Minnesota after everything with the plane crash. Got tired of everything that was going on around here."

"Is something wrong?" I raised a brow at her. "You seem out of it."

"It's just Arizona. She's refusing to leave the apartment until she's perfect with her prosthetic." She let out a low breath, her frustration clear. "I don't want to be pushy, but at the same time I just want her to get back to her life. Everyone else is, or at least trying to, but she's still shut up in that apartment trying to perfect how she walks."

"Just give her time, she's still trying to accept everything." I told here.

"Dr. Howards?" I turned around to find Wilson standing in front of me, vomit covering her scrub top and a frustrated look on her face.

"What is it Wilson?" I asked her.

"There's a man in bed three, Santa Claus. He's been vomiting repeatedly and has been in here multiple times over the past few weeks." She informed me, her jaw locked. "He swears that he isn't drunk, that he just wants help."

"Okay, run a blood test to confirm that he isn't drunk. While waiting on that give him fluids and check for a fever. Lastly, don't call him Santa Claus, he's a person, not some made up fairytale." I instructed her. She nodded and began to head away, but I stopped her again. "And Wilson, change your shirt."

I watched as she hurried off towards the elevators, heading towards the locker rooms to change. Once she was out of sight I turned back to Callie.

"You do realize that Santa's likely a druggie or a drunk?" She commented.

"Yes, but his name isn't Santa." I said. "Now, don't we have a meeting to get to?"

〰〰〰

The conference room was tense as we all sat around the table. I was seated between Derek and Callie with Meredith across from me and another woman that I didn't know next to her. This woman looked to be a few years older than me with dark curly hair and hardened dark brown eyes. Though no one had introduced us I knew this had to be Cristina Yang. She sat leaned back in her chair, trying to avoid the obvious fact that Hunt was watching her from where he stood by the door.

Everything about this setting seemed to scream with tension. Between the lawyers and the way Hunt refused to take his attention off of Yang, as if he were expecting her to say something or to break down at any moment. As if it were expected for all of us to break down any second, to fill the quiet room to cries and screams of pain and outrage.

"Dr. Hunt, I guess you won't be necessary as proxy any more." The hospital's lawyer finally spoke up, clearly trying to get this meeting started.

"Uh, uh, I'm here more out of support for my staff." Hunt didn't move an inch from his place next to the door.

"Yeah, I don't mind if he stays." Yang said as everyone nodded in agreement, myself included.