Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

It felt as though I were frozen in place, everything continuing around me at a faster pace. For weeks I had been here, visiting Mark everyday in hopes of seeing him open his eyes or hearing his familiar laugh after someone cracked a joke. All I wanted was for my friend to wake up, to be here for me again.

"You alright?" Karev asked, arching an eyebrow at my frozen state. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that he thought I was insane and incapable of being a doctor, let alone being permitted within ten square feet of a scalpel.

"He's awake?" My voice was airy, nearly inaudible. Unsure of whether he'd actually heard me or was simply guessing on what I'd said, he nodded.

"Woke up late last night, apparently he's been talking nonstop about some 'young thing'." He shrugged, clearly thinking that Mark's medication was making him hallucinate or something. "I would have thought someone would've found you and told you about it. I mean, isn't Montgomery back in town?"

"Why, wanting to screw her?" I scowled before turning and heading towards Mark's hospital room, hoping that Karev hadn't been lying, hoping that I would find my best friend sitting up in his bed. Hoping that I'd finally get to see his snide smile and crude jokes again.

That was all I wanted.

My feet seemed to send out waves of noise as I hurried down the hospital's halls. Each one seemed to be louder than the last, I was nearly on the verge of running. I could almost feel myself shaking from my nerves the closer I came to his hospital room, each step bringing me closer to my best friend. Bringing me closer to some sense of normality after these past few weeks-no, years.

When I turned around the corner for the hallway that held Mark's room I could already see the people gathered outside of it. It almost seemed like a car accident, people always wanted to look away but something kept them drawn in, unable to turn away from the gruesome scene. I recognized Callie, Hunt, and Meredith and then there were some faces of people that I had seen around the hospital but had yet spoken to. Seeing the group I slowed my pace and craned my neck, trying to get a good look into the room. I felt as though a boulder had fallen on top of me from what I saw though. Mark was lying in bed, he wasn't awake.

"I thought he woke up?" I could hear the disappointment in my voice as I reached Hunt's side.

"He did. He just fell asleep a little bit ago, was tired." Callie was the one that answered me, glancing at me over her shoulder.

"We actually wanted to ask if you knew anyone by the name of Young? He kept asking for them." Hunt asked, looking at me expectantly.

"We tried asking Derek but he said you should know." Meredith's voice had an icy edge to it as she spoke to me. She still didn't trust me.

"Not that I can remember." I lied through my teeth as I looked through the glass walls and into Mark's room. "Is it alright if I just go in and sit with him?"

"Sure," Hunt nodded. I didn't wait to see if he had anything else to say before heading across the hallway and into Mark's room, making sure to close the door behind me. Just because they had to see me didn't mean they needed to hear me too.

I took my seat next to Mark's bed and for a moment just sat there, frozen. Taking a deep breath I reached out and took Mark's larger hand in my own, taking in the slight warmth his hand offered. It wasn't a minute later that I heard the soft but sharp breath and I looked up at him, seeing his familiar eyes shining at me.