Chapter 10

"Why can't you just give me the code, Eva?" he muttered while she was ushering him inside the house. Evangeline ignored his mumbling as her eyes searched for a familiar face.

"Eva!" yelled a voice over the music. She turned her gaze in that direction and saw one of her best friends picking her way through the many people dancing. They both grinned at each other's costumes.

"You're a water-fairy?" Evangeline asked excitedly, taking in the transparent ballerina-flats decorated with very few, small rhinestones, her silky pale blue dress and the matching headband on her forehead.

"Finally! Someone who doesn't think I'm just a girl from the 70's." she chuckled and adjusted her headband.

"Damon..." she turned to him and smiled. "This is my best friend, Rose Mathews."

"Rose." she grinned and put her hands forwards for him to shake. He raised his eyebrows as he had a déjà vu feeling:

 Taking a deep breath, she put her hand forwards.

"Let's do this again, shall we? ... I'm Evangeline. Eva for short."

"I'm Damon."

"Nice to meet you, Damon!" ...

"Damon Williams." he cleared his throat and reluctantly shook Rose's hand.

Only now Evangeline realized that she did not know what his last name was. She involuntarily chanted it in her head a couple of times and noticed how melodic it sounded... how mysterious, just like him.

"Oh... hey there!" another girl shouted happily, coming towards them. Damon could immediately see that she was slightly drunk. He knew... he had been like that for weeks and weeks after that day. He had thought that it was the only thing that could help him... but he was wrong; nothing could possibly ease his inner pain.

"Awesome party, right?" she giggled and placed a stray of hair behind her ear. She was all dressed in black; the inside of the leather jacket which covered her bare shoulders was red and it matched her shoes.

"Camille, are you drunk?" Rose frowned although she already knew the answer.

"No, sister, I'm Sandy from 'Grease', can't you see?" she giggled again. "She was hot. Why can't I be hot too?" Camille's mood suddenly changed as she pouted, sighing. Although it was rather amusing to watch her, Evangeline shot Rose a sympathetic look and introduced Camille to Damon, who just nodded. He was wishing Evangeline would just tell him the password already; he did not fit in at the party and it was just a waste of  his time.

"I'll take my sister outside for a bit and catch up with you later, okay?" Rose grunted over the music and hurried with Camille in the backyard. Damon frowned for a moment or two and then gulped silently. How he was wishing for a sibling to take care of, to give advice to, to share both happy and gloomy times. Now he could never have one... and it was all his fault.

"Just to let you know, I'm not having 'fun'." Damon sneered while emphasizing the last word like it was new to him.

"Well, how could you? We have to eat candy apples and jelly-worms first... Uhm, the last part sounded a bit gross, but anyway..." Evangeline chuckled and glanced around for the table all the candy should be on.

 "Oh, there!" she grinned just like a child would and he scoffed lightly. Her heart was so pure...

~

"I love Halloween!" Camille threw her hands in the air and spun around once just as one of her favorite songs, 'My boy builds coffins' by Florence, was ending.