Chapter 19

He kissed her...

His lips found hers and Evangeline's soft gasp was muffled by Damon's mouth. She could immediately sense the alcohol in his breath, which woke in her a desire to indulge in the moment, a desire she found rather hard not to succumb into, for his kiss was incredibly slow and sensual. How come she did not find it repulsive?

Was she... enjoying it?

'No... ' she scolded herself inwardly for thinking that.

To Evangeline, it seemed as if their lips were glued together for a painful, continuous moment which stirred in her an overwhelming number of emotions that confused her to no end.

But it was more of a quick peck, really. Their lips did touch, though, so Evangeline considered this a kiss. But could it really be called like that? And what exactly was Damon trying to express through it? Was it just gratitude that pushed him to do it? It could have been just the alcohol that was getting to him, but still...

Evangeline did not think of any of that, though, for she was so tired and Damon's lips came down on hers so quickly that she did not even realize what he was doing until her slightly open mouth tasted the lusciousness of his lips. But even so, she was far too surprised and he gave her too little time to close her eyes or respond by pouting her lips...

As if Evangeline would have done something like that!

Before tonight she only thought of him as a friend, as someone she wanted to help... as someone who was willing to do the same for her, to listen to her past, to try and not be disgusted by it.

But now that Damon kissed her so briefly yet so softly, as if she was a newborn baby who could be easily bruised, she simply couldn't help but think if she could ever see him differently, if he could be more than just that. Did he feel something for her... in a romantic way?

'No...' she thought again as Damon broke the kiss and leaned back against the car.

'No! No, no, no!...' Evangeline screamed in her mind as she took in Damon's tired, oblivious face. He was wasted, for God's sake! Why was she reading so much into it? He probably wouldn't even remember it...

"Great! Just freaking great! My first kiss meant nothing." she muttered to herself and her eyebrows furrowed even more when she noticed the confused, naive look on his face. Despite what that man had done with her, this kiss was her first one... and Damon stole it from her.

"Just get in the bloody car!" Evangeline hissed at him as she yanked open his door.

The surprising sweetness she felt whilst Damon was kissing her - because it was the most strange, new feeling she had ever experienced since she'd met him -  has now just turned into a sourness she could not bear.

Even though to her it seemed like a terrifying eternity, due to how sudden and, actually, rather selfishly he acted by kissing her out of the blue - that is without even asking for Evangeline's permission. But in that terrible everlasting moment, she felt something blissful wash through her. And just that thought made her even angrier with Damon, with the fact that her first kiss happened as it did, in the middle of the night -more like close to dawn by now-, in front of The Dark Pub, a wretched place that managed to creep her out in a way, and with someone who can't even stand properly on his feet. But maybe sin was bound to follow her all her life... And moments like this would constantly remind her of that day and of that man and of every way she had to keep this secret.

~

"Wake up!" she told him in an ice-cold tone and nudged him until he muttered something and opened his eyes.

"You're home." Evangeline continued, not even looking at him. The anger radiating off of her had the same effect as a cup of hot coffee and she knew she couldn't possibly sleep when she would get back home.

"Do you think you can manage to get inside on your own?"

"Hmmm... my head hurts..." Damon mumbled and shifted in his seat. Evangeline sneered and rested her elbows on the steering wheel, her hands getting lost in her messy hair.

"Of course it does..." she mumbled back and rubbed her whole face.

Evangeline eventually helped Damon get inside, where she let him fall and sprawl on an enormous couch. She then checked her watch and saw that it showed 3:27 A.M..

"I don't know what I should do anymore, Damon..." she crouched down on the floor and watched his sleeping form for a solid 15 minutes.

"Why did you kiss me?" Evangeline murmured suddenly and gently got a couple of strays of hair out of his face. Unconsciously, she let her hand wander to Damon's left cheek, his jaw then his parted lips. A tear rolled down her face as she pulled her hand back and let her tears fall on her jeans.

After a minute or two of sobbing silently, Evangeline got up and wiped away the salty tears. After fumbling with the drawers in the kitchen, she finally found an Advil which she put on the small coffee table in front of the couch where Damon was sleeping, next to a big glass of cold water. Glancing at him one last time, Evangeline quietly shut the front door behind her and drove home.