Chapter 18

"Mom..." she whispered, nudging her. "Mom!" Evangeline spoke louder and cringed as her mother stirred and mumbled a 'yes'.

"Can I take the car? I really have to help a friend." she whispered not to wake her father up.

"At this hour? Eva-" her mother winced and rubbed her eyes.

"Yeah... I really have to hurry, mom. Promise to tell you about it tomorrow, okay?"

"Eva... Your father wouldn't like this." her mother Anna said after a few moments and glanced at the sleeping form of her husband.

"I know... It's not really a pleasure for me either. But I'll be back before you know it. Trust me on this, mom." Evangeline stared into her eyes and waited a minute for her answer.

"Ugh... Fine, you can go. Wake me up when you're back." her mother whispered and rested her head on the pillow.

~

The door to The Dark Pub opened with a creak that did creep her out, but not as much as the inside; it fit perfectly the name on the flashing sign from outside. The only things that were not black were the leather couches, the glass shelves that were illuminated by bright neons, which allowed the barman to see all of those bottles carefully arranged and a few doors that probably led to the storage room and to the bathrooms. The music and the disco lights had died down but even so, Evangeline grasped at the roots of her hair in frustration. Why would Damon get drunk? Had he done it before?

"What have I gotten myself into?" Evangeline asked herself. She looked around for him but her eyes were so tired that she did not see him. But she heard a voice very similar to the one of the man who called her. She followed the sound and her eyes met a tall blond guy handling some glasses. So she tried her luck and went to talk to him.

"Uhmm... Max?" she asked uncomfortably as she stepped in front of him to catch his attention.

"Yeah... Phone girl, eh?" he smirked, making her blush.

"That's-" Evangeline nodded but was cut off by her own yawn. "Me..." she finished, smiling sheepishly.

"He's over there, on that couch." the man showed towards where Damon was indeed sitting, his hands lost his hair. Her steps towards him were small and careful, as if he were a wounded animal that she had to help. He did not even notice her presence, although Evangeline was standing right in front of him.

"Damon..." she whispered but it was not loud enough so he did not hear her. He looked so hopeless on that couch... so sad and alone and desperate. Evangeline crouched in front of him and gently touched his arms.

"Hey..." Evangeline whispered once again and her silky palms caressed his skin through the shirt he was wearing as she moved them towards hands, where she slightly tightened her grip. His head finally snapped up at her and she could notice the tear stains on his cheeks, his red eyes and the tired expression on his face. Damon's gaze was not as intense as she was used to, but Evangeline could still feel heat in her cheeks as he watched her clasp both of his hands in hers.

"Ev-a..." he slurred, the shadow of a smile present on his lips, and let out a breath that reeked of alcohol. And although this heavy smell was not repulsive, as she had expected, she definitely did not like it.

"I'm here." Evangeline forced herself to smile a bit as she soothingly rubbed circles on his wrists; her touch was indeed relaxing and caused Damon's eyes to flutter then close.

"Let's get you home, okay? It's all right now." she assured him softly and got up, forcing him to do the same. But he stumbled back on the couch and caused Evangeline to groan.

"Come on, Damon! Please get up. I'm not strong enough to carry you." she muttered more to herself and tried once again to hoist him up and support him with both her hands. He nearly collapsed on top of her but Evangeline held him tightly by the shoulders and somehow managed to crawl with him to Max, who was laughing loudly at the both of them.

"See? I told you he was too drunk to drive!" he said with a smirk on his face as she leaned Damon against the bar. It was way harder than she had thought.

"He's too freaking drunk to do anything!" she snarled, glaring at Damon. Her previous calm, understanding attitude changed into an extremely frustrated one.

She was not angry with him, though, because she could easily guess that he had been drinking because of the thing that he was keeping hidden from her. Whatever it was, it was terrible and now, throwing him a softer glance and taking in all the innocent, child-like features of his semi-sleeping form, Evangeline realized she actually felt sorry for him. And the reason she so strongly felt that was the fact that she cared... Evangeline cared immensely about Damon, more than he could imagine and maybe more than she should...

But shaking away these thoughts, she snorted a bit and yawned for what it seemed like the 100th time that night.

"Did he pay for everything?" she asked the barman and searched her back pocket for some money.

"Nah... I remember there was..." Max said in his heavy accent and flipped the pages of a small notebook, looking for something.

"Oh... I guess I'm really tired... He paid for everything, Miss." he stated, raising his head from the pages and smiling sheepishly. Evangeline still put 3£ on the bar and pushed the money towards Max.

"Thank you for taking care of him. I hope we'll never meet again in such situations." she smiled a little at his surprised expression and limped with Damon towards her car, letting the creaky door close behind them. After a minute or two, she blew out a breath as they both leaned against the silver-colored car Evangeline drove there with.

"Why are doing this to me, Damon?" she mumbled, rubbing her tired face.

"Mhmm... What?" he murmured and stirred, the cold air sobering him up a bit.

"The barman used your phone to call and tell me to come and pick you up because you can't drive. He said he called me because you told him to." she sighed, trying to speak clearly in spite of the lack of sleep. She then went directly in front of him, staring him down. "Why me?"

"You knew I couldn't freaking sleep knowing that you're wasted in a damn pub, with the risk of doing something God knows how stupid. You knew it, Damon!" she muttered, her frustration somehow giving her eyes depth and darkness so they would burn right through him.

"Is it something that I had said? Why are you doing this?" she asked fervently but his eyebrows just furrowed in confusion.

"You know what, Damon? Just freaking forget it!" she raised her voice but before she could go to the other side of the car he stopped her, wrapping his left arm around her waist and pulling her so close that their chests were brushing against each other.

"What are you doing? Damon-"

"Eva... I'm not doing this to... get some kind of... revenge." Damon cut her off as he securely locked their gazes.

"Then why?" she asked, stepping backwards as his grip on her loosened.

"I had no one else to call." he simply shrugged and she quirked an eyebrow to show that she could not believe that. That amused, incredulous expression on her face made her look so childish, so adorable with those big almost black eyes and slightly smirking soft lips that Damon took a shaky step towards her.

"Really!? You're telling me that none of your friends could help you?"

"I don't have any friends." Damon replied bluntly, causing a serious look to appear on Evangeline's face. "I don't have enough money for a taxi, my dad is off to... somewhere, with work, as always..."

"So that leaves you." he sighed deeply, drowning into her eyes as her perfume lulled him to sleep. Evangeline's lips seemed soft and sweet, parted in surprise as they were, and her skin was as rosy as ever in the street lights.

So, so tempting...

"I was sure you would come, Eva." Damon gently stroked the side of her head and the corners of his lips showed the shadow of a shy smile.

"Thank you." he murmured and with that he kissed her.