Chapter 34

After about ten minutes from the beginning of her French class, the short buzz coming from Evangeline's front pocket of her pants made her lay her pen down on the desk and make sure nobody was watching her before reaching for her phone and reading the text. Her eyes quickly scanned for the sender and, of course, it was Damon.

'Call me after class.' it read. This straightforwardness was unusual, strange even, when it came to him. What could be so important that he didn't wait until after school?  

"Qu'est-ce que tu fais, Mademoiselle?" a voice suddenly asked and, hurrying to put down her phone, Evangeline raised her head with an ashamed look on her face.

"Excuse-moi, Madame." she replied and hoped that the teacher would just let her be. Yet, as the teacher pursed her lips and turned around, Evangeline slowly began to grow livid at how her love for Damon was beginning to affect her not only psychologically and physically, but in what concerned her social life as well. And that was something she could not afford; Evangeline had bigger dreams for the future than the others had and she had realized that that required more work, more focus. So she knew she had to end this torment, one way one another; still, she thought she didn't have the guts to do so.

~

She did call him, not after class, but after school. She just could not bring herself to do it earlier and yet, when she finally did, there was such little energy in her delicate voice that Damon had to ask her if anything was wrong.

"I'm fine." she exhaled, making her way through the crowd of students heading towards the front gate. "Just a bit... tired."

"Oh, okay... I guess you can't stop by my house, then, huh?" he chuckled though the phone, a bit uncomfortable. How was he supposed to talk to her about that kiss? He wasn't even sure whether he should do it or not, nor had he any idea of what to say in case the subject would somehow be brought up. Yet knowing that it had happened and neither of them said anything about that night made him nervous, tense and, in a way, guilty as well.

"It's okay. I will, if you want..."

~

As he welcomed her inside, he felt this indescribable rush of adrenaline in his veins, this burning desire to hug her; she was beautiful, even without makeup and even if her body wasn't perfect, Evangeline was beautiful, inside and out. And the way her eyes sparkled just for him, the way her lips bloomed into a smile when she first saw him leaning against the doorframe, the fragrance she left in the air as she passed by him to go into the living room... they all took his breath away.

But how come he hadn't noticed these things before? Maybe he just did not pay so much attention to them up until now... maybe something had changed.

"So?" she asked, placing her backpack on the floor. "What happened?"

"Oh...I just felt like talking to you, I guess... nothing major." he said, pouring himself a glass of water. She smiled at him, her ever glimmering eyes mesmerizing him, pulling him into an abyss, drowning him, making him feel alive again. And this time, Damon did not fight it; he wanted it, he craved it, he dreamt about an eternity of her, always his, always there. This time, Damon did not think about the accident, about how he deserved to die instead of them, about how empty he had felt before meeting her; he found absolutely no relevance in dwelling on such depressing things, in wasting his life this way.

"What about?" Evangeline finally replied, sitting down on the couch.

"I... I'm not really sure whether I should bring this up or not." he took a sip of the water and sat beside her. "Why haven't you said anything about that night when I got drunk?"

"What are you talking about? I did. You told me about your mom and... everything." the girl frowned and hastily ran a hand through her hair. He wasn't making any sense.

"Eva, I'm not talking about that..." Damon looked her straight in the eye and smirked a bit when he saw her lips parting in surprise. She could feel the color rising in her cheeks, her pulse running wild at the base of her neck, small beads of cold sweat covering her fingers. He knew, he remembered. He knew, he knew, he knew...

"You remember?" Evangeline managed to ask with such a small, squeaky voice that he laughed and grabbed her arm, pulling her to his chest. He loved how she could be mature, imposing and, at times, childish and naive, he loved the way she dealt with life... he loved... he loved...

At his chest, her left palm resting on his collarbone, Evangeline shut her eyes tightly and bit her lip, inhaling. She felt she had to do it, so she slowly proceeded to sit up again while moving her hand from his shoulder to cup one side of his face and, tenderly, she closed her eyes and pressed her lips against his. And oh, the ecstasy of the moment, the sweetness tasted by foreign flesh, the heat!

The smile from his face quickly disappeared and their lips stood still for a moment before she pulled back just a bit. With her mouth slightly open, heavy breaths coming out, she locked their gazes and found such lust in his eyes... such passion that she could not believe it. And there was this feeling deep inside her, telling her to kiss him again and again and again...

So she did, closing her eyes once more, hesitantly capturing his lower lip between her rosy, swollen ones and pouting, her eyebrows furrowing in the carnal pleasure she found by doing that. Warm air blew on her face as Damon let out a breath through his nose, both his hands suddenly getting lost in her untied hair as he kissed her back ravenously. He just could not help it... he could not help it...

It's getting close to the end, guys! If you like this story, please go check out my other work too, Cold Fingers (on my profile page). It would mean so much to me, thanks! ;)