Chapter two

Last night, we had made it home a half hour later. We didn't really talk or joke around; there was just an odd and uncomfortable silence. I awake up this morning feeling uneasy and unsure about the day, contemplating whether or not I should even go to school.

Pushing all the uneasiness aside, I rise up and get ready for school. Taking my time, I begin my morning routine. After showering, brushing my teeth and getting dressed, I saunter down the old wooden stairs of my home. When I reach the landing I see my step-father, George, sitting at the dining room table, sipping his morning coffee while reading.

"Good morning." I say to him as I hastily put on my jacket and grab my bag.

"Mornin'." he replies, putting his paper down to acknowledge me. "You're not having breakfast?"

"No." I spin around the room looking for my binder.  "I'm running a bit late, honestly."

"What time did you get in last night?" he asks me, narrowing his eyes in scrutiny.

"Not too late." I lie with a reassuring smile and let out a frustrated puff of air.

I can't find my binder.

"Oh alright."  He says, apprehensive, picking up his mug and walking to the kitchen. He places it in the sink before continuing to speak to me. "Don't stay out too late, this town isn't always safe. There are a lot creeps around. I don't want you or your friends to get into any trouble."

"Okay..." I reply not really paying attention.  I get on my hands and knees to look under the couch. I let out an excited squeal when I see my tattered purple binder. Quickly, I pull it out, say a quick goodbye to George and run out the door.

Fortunately, the bus is just coming to a stop, and slow my pace and wait for it. As I get on see Mad sitting in the back listening to her music, completely absorbed. I take a seat next to her and nudge her, announcing my presence. She merely nods to me and continues to stare out the window, nodding a bit to the rhythm.

Pulling my Spanish textbook out of my bag, I begin mouthing the material silently, scolding myself mentally for forgetting to study. Two stops later Dem and Demi get on the bus and head towards Mad and myself. She is talking excitedly about something to him and he just nods, disinterested. Find a seat near the window, he plops himself down.

"Hi Abby!" Demi greets me and gives me quick hug. With one arm around my shoulders she uses the other to poke Mad in the ribs, causing her to stiffen.  She smiles brightly and waves, when she turns around agitated. Seeing Demi's bright and happy demeanor, she can't help but crack an almost smile, before turning back in her seat.

On the next stop Kellan gets on. His burly body makes his way down the aisle, bumping into a few people along the way. He throws himself in the seat next to Dem and punches him in the shoulder in a friendly manner, while Dem only turns to him in annoyance. Kellan holds out his fist for a fist bump. Dem just stares at it as if it was a talking fish. He rolls his eyes and turns to me expectantly and I immediately press my fist to his and imitates the sound of an explosion and when they parted.