Chapter four

I keep running, pushing my legs harder than ever. My throat is burning and sore from the screaming. I have to get away. I need to get away from this horrible place; it is too late for the others.

So close. The gate is right there, just a few more steps. I look back once more and saw nothing. My heart slows down. I get to the gate and try to push it open but it won't budge.

"No" I whisper. I pull as hard I can but nothing changes. Then I hear the laughter again. Slowly, I turn around and-

I shriek as I jolt up from my bed, slowly registering that it was a dream I was having. I groan as I check the time on my clock. Great, I'm late for school. I must have over-slept I conclude while getting up. 

Three days later and I am still having bad dreams.

I spin around my room, throwing on my clothes and gathering my things to get ready to leave. I race down the stairs and out the door. I come to a halt when I realize that I had missed the school bus.

Pissed off, I turn on my heel and walk back into the house, slamming the door behind me. I stomp up the stairs in frustration. 

"George?" I call out,  walking towards his room. I knock on the door softly and then decide to just open it.

"George." I whisper from the door-frame. I walk in. I begin shaking him slightly. He awakes with a snort.

"You should be in school." he mutters, disapprovingly, even while half asleep.

"Yes, I know." I sigh. "Can you give me a ride? I missed the bus."

"Sure. Give me ten minutes to get ready." He says, sitting up, wiping the sleep from his eyes. I nod and leave, closing the door behind me.

I sit down on the couch as I wait for him. I pull out my phone. It displays three calls and two new messages from Demi, both dramatic and irrational. She's assuming I'm either dead or injured.

Shaking my head, I quickly message her back before she has an anxiety attack. 

I put my phone away as George stomps down the stairs, still slightly groggy.

"You ready to go?" He asks, pulling out his keys.

"Yeah." I say, following him outside. We hop in the car.

*                                                                                                        *                                                                                       *

Twenty minutes later, George drops me off. I check the time on my phone. Great, 10:45, meaning that I missed all my morning classes.