Chapter three

This is insane. . . 

Pure insanity.

I continue to think to myself as I get prepared to leave. I feel a bit paranoid that George might check up on me randomly during the night, although he almost never does. I quietly make my way down the hallway to his room. Once I reach, I press my ear to the door and listen for his loud snores, confirming that he's already asleep. I slowly turn on my heel and tip-toe back to my room. After making my way back to my room, I lock my door and continue getting ready.

I run a brush through my hair and quickly tie it into a ponytail. I stare in the mirror for a moment. There are hints of worry and uncertainty written all over my face. I try to shake my anxiety off. Grabbing an old book bag, I pack a flashlight, pepper spray, my dad's pocket knife, and dental floss for some reason. I look in the mirror again and take a few calming breaths.

My phone then buzzes with a message from Demi, informing me that they are outside. I put my phone in the pocket of my hoodie and throw the bag over my shoulder. After double checking the lock, I open the window. I wince at the screeching sound it made, hoping it didn't wake George up. I slowly step out, holding onto the tree for leverage. Step by step, I make it down, slowly and diligently. Even after doing this for a few years, I'm still always a bit scared of injuring myself.

"Before I bald, Abigail." Dylan says, emerging out of nowhere. I gasp in shock, lose my footing, and fall. I brace myself for the painful landing but, luckily, Dylan easily catches my fall.

"Nice moves, Rapunzel." He laughs, as he carries me dramatically out the yard. He then places me on the pavement and makes a shushing motion with his finger and lips. Quietly, he creeps behind Mad, grabs her by the waist and holds her in the air momentarily before throwing her on his shoulder.

"Dylan, you oaf, put me down. Now." she says in a firm, serious voice.

"Sorry, ma'am. No can do." He drawls out in a terrible southern accent.  "Let's get this show on the road." He announces and cuts to the front to lead the way, with Mad over his shoulder, unhappy.

"Oh, man!"  Kellan gushes with glee, his bulky frame practically vibrating next to me.  "This is going to be epic! I hope we find some ghosts or something."

"I hope we don't." I interject, throwing my head back.

"You're right. Maybe zombies or something, they're way cooler." He says, nudging Dem, looking for agreement.

"I don't believe in that stuff." Dem says and I relax. Finally someone with sense. "If anything, it's a psychotic killer. You know, like in Scream?" That does not make me feel any better.

"Yeah!" Demi agrees with her brother. "Or even that guy from A Nightmare on Elm Street, Freddy. Didn't you hear metal-ish sounds, Abby?"

"I . . . I . . . I don't want to talk about this!" I exclaim, covering my ears. "Let's just go and get this over with. Okay?"

"Calm down, nothing bad is going to happen." She reassures me with a bright smile and excited eyes.