Chapter twenty

"Demi!" Dem bellows as he claws at the greenery to open the gate. He doesn't wait for any assistance and fights the the boarding that keeps the storage facility closed. Veronica reaches for the knife that is hanging from her hip to assist Dem. She cuts through the vines and leaves that has overgrown on the door.

Once they get through, Dem begins yanking on the lock that is keeping the door shut. Veronica places a hand on his forearm to calm him and move him out of the way. He is too focused, at first, but once he realizes that she has the key, he follows her order. She reaches and retrieves the key that is supposed to open the lock. She places it in carefully and turns. The click of the lock opening feels resounding.

Without a second of delay, Dem rushes down the stairs calling for Demi. Veronica follows after quickly. Personally, I am too petrified to move, this all feels surreal. Mad and Dylan take a brief pause of hesitation being before descending as well.

As I try to will my body to move I notice Kellan slowly stepping backwards in my periphery. I turn my head to see that his lips are trembling and his eyes are wide. He looks absolutely transfixed. I reach out to touch his forearm and feel that his muscles are heavily quaking.

"Kellan?" I whisper. "Are you alright?"

His wild eyes lock with mine as he forcefully shakes his head from side to side. He continues to shake his head and move backwards until his back presses against a structure. He slowly and shakily slides his back down until he is sitting on the ground. I'm not sure if he's going to start screaming or pass out. We have enough going on right now.

"I'm scared too." I attempt to console him. "But we're going to get through this."

I scoff mentally at myself. Who am I to reassure anyone? I've been spewing that this place was going to kill us since the moment we walked in.

"We're not." He mutters, shakily. His eyes glaze over and stares straight ahead. I feel like he's not even listening to me anymore. "Its going to kill me. If I go in there, Its going to kill me."

"Kellan, I-." I begin to try to calm him down again, but I hear Demi wail once more. I bite my lip as I look back and forth between Kellan and the door. I believe he is just overwhelmed and petrified, understandably so. But I know Demi needs help. I don't know whether to stay out here to keep Kellan calm or go in and help Demi.

I choose Demi.

I reassure Kellan that I will return soon, despite not knowing when soon actually is. I descend down the stairway. This storage facility is honestly just a glorified cellar. I hold on to the railing, its shards of wood drag roughly against the palm of my hand.