Chapter five

Yesterday was so draining so we all slept in. This causes us to leave later than planned the next day.

Last night, an officer had come over and examined the place. He made us call our parents to assure them that we were safe. He didn't find anything nor was anything reported stolen so he dismissed it. Demi and Dem's mom wanted to rush over but she was held up at her job. We still hadn't shown Demi the note; not knowing how'll she react.

I message Kellan and Dylan, so we can go over to Mad's house; she should have been released this morning. They messaged back stating that they were already on their way.

Dem, Demi, and I board the semi-full bus. We manage to squeeze in,  ending up wedged into each other and strangers. Dem and I are practically chest to chest. I can feel the up-down movement of his breaths as he took each one.

Demi is a few bodies away when a guy around our age, who was seated, asks her something. She smiles meekly and shakes her head. He smiles and seems to insist. She giggles and finally nods her head. He gets up and she sits down in his seat and smiles brightly up at him. He smiles back shyly and they continued to talk. I was thinking about how cute it was when Dem mumbles something in my ear, causing me to jump.

"You know we have to tell them about the note." He says, the rumbling of his voice sends vibrations into my chest.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I murmur back as the bus stops and more people pile on, pushing Dem and I closer together.

"Why?" he asks, re-adjusting himself from holding the bar behind me to the one above my head.

"Because, the more we play with this the worse it gets. We got chased, Mad got hurt, and Demi could have gotten killed by that dresser last night. Listen, we should leave this alone now before it gets worse, okay?" I plead into his ear.

"But-" He begins.

"No. Just drop it. Pretend it never happened. Forget it."

His jaw tenses as he stares straight ahead. I wasn't sure if he was going to say more or not. The next few minutes of the ride is quiet between us, while everyone else on the bus continues their loud conversations. Suddenly the bus lurches to stop, unable to catch the light, and I fall back.  Dem catches me in time and holds me upright, his arm curled around my waist.

"Thanks" I mumble, while my heart speeds up.

"Anytime" He answers, his arm still around me. I look away, embarrassed, and I catch Demi's eyes. She smirks and moves her eyebrows up and down suggestively. Dem must have caught that because he lets me go pretty quick.

Ugh.

*                                                                                                 *                                                                                    *