A new Mask

Nico put the tape aside when he was done with it and put the next one in. He made it through a few more finding one more glimpse of Alex, none of the Operator. He put the one with Alex on it aside as well, he wasn't sure if it was important but he thought he should let Masky or Jay decide.

"Where'd Tim go?" Jay mumbled, Nico did his best not to start, he hadn't noticed that Jay had woken up.

"He went out for a smoke." Nico answered "He think's you're right about Alex by the way, and we found a glimpse of the Operator on this tape." Nico tapped the tape with one finger and Jay groaned hiding his head in the pillow again for a minute, Nico chuckled softly.

"I hope that Tim's gone to stock up on cough syrup too." Jay grumbled pushing himself up to a sitting position. Nico didn't understand, but he didn't ask turning his attention to the screen as Jay stumble to the washroom. While Jay was in there Masky slipped back in, he was carrying a bag, maybe he had stalked up on cough syrup the. Without speaking Masky reached into the bag and handed Nico a bottle of pop. Nico murmured a thanks and Masky slumped down onto the edge of the bed next to Nico pulling out a beer for himself.

"I hate the Operator." Masky mumbled opening the tab on the beer and taking a long drink. "He's such a controlling asshole." Nico gave a noncommittal but sympathetic hum, he didn't know anything about the Operator. Masky lowered his voice even further so that Camera couldn't hear. He wasn't looking at Nico, Nico got the feeling that Maksy wasn't really talking to him, just talking. "I don't want to be here, I want to be with Hoody. He's even more afraid than usual knowing that the Operator might be nearby, I should be close to him."

"At least he's not alone." Nico murmured. "Toby's still staying near him right?" Masky nodded sighing, taking another drink from his beer. Nico opened the bottle of his pop and put it aside waiting for it to go a little flat before drinking it.

"God know Hoody's spent enough time alone." Masky's words were almost to quiet for him to hear so Nico didn't answer.

"Oh you're back." Jay said a minute later hen he stumbled back out of the bathroom.

"Yep." Masky answered. "And I brought beer, and cough drops just in case." He reached into the bag and held a beer out to Jay who took it. Walking over to the window he peaked through the curtain and then sat down in the armchair in the corner.

"I hate that part of this, I was hoping I just had a cold." Jay said.

"What, and you don't hate the rest of it like the bad hotels and the never feeling safe?" Masky snickered. Jay rolled his eyes giving a sarcastic haha that made Nico laugh. Jay and Masky started chatting. They started out talking about what they're next move would be, but quickly slipped into talking about what they had been up to in the years that had lapsed since they last talked.

"I'm going to go for a walk." Nico murmured to Masky so as not to interrupt Jay. Masky nodded and Nico got up crossing the room putting on his shoes and leaving. Jay could ask Masky, "Tim" if he wanted to know where Nico had gone. It was cool now that the sun was setting, the sky was red and it looked like the tops of the trees were on fire. Nico shoved his hands in the pocket of his brown jacket and crossed the parking lot slipping in amongst the trees.

There was shade and shadow here. Even though there were leaves of the trees, the darkness of the ground, and the light of the sky worked together to strip everything but the sky of its colour. Nico watched the sky glimmering between the leaves of the canapé as he walked deeper into the woods until he heard footsteps beside him. Nico looked down and smiled at Toby who was beside him now.

"Hey." Nico said softly.

"Hey." Toby said reaching for Nico's hand and pulling him off the path he had been following.