The White House- Chapter 6 (part b)

Chapter 6b

 “For God’s sake Patience, liven up will you.” Courtney shouted down the phone I was holding to my ear. I had been filling her in on the date with Kasper for the last ten minutes only just mentioning the fact that I was going on a date with him today.

“How do you know that I am not jumping for joy? I could be looking forward to spending a day with Kasper.” I felt myself cringe as I said the last sentence, internally groaning at the lack of conviction I used in my statement. On the phone I was met with silence.

“Really? You are going to go down that route?”

“No,” I said indifferently, biting my lip and twirling a strand of brown hair around my finger.

“Good, I can’t be bothered to have the argument,” she replied gently. “Anyway, do you have any idea of where you are going?”

“Nope, Mom has decided to go all mysterious and is refusing to tell me. If he takes me to the movies I will throw up. There is no way I will sit that close to him for an hour and a half. In the dark too. I can just imagine how much Kasper would revel in trying to embarrass the pants off me.” I visibly shuddered.

“It will be fine. Whatever you do just enjoy it. I hate to say this to you Patience but you are just going to have to get used to being around him. You are going to be with him for a year for Christ’s sake.”

“True.” It was a fact that had not ceased to haunt me since the dinner at the White House.

“Besides, think of all the hot friends Kasper is likely to have. He can be the stepping stone for you to find someone you want to be with after. You are not going to be dating him forever. In the meantime you can make some new friends and get a good college degree. Kasper is just a small piece of it.”

I sighed, “It is scary how someone so indecisive on her own relationships can be amazing at giving advice.”

“I am not like that?” She exclaimed innocently.

“Right, the whole month you went out with Scott is longest you have ever had a boyfriend.”

“He was sweet but not for me,” she laughed.

“Pete? Ethan? Ryan?” I listed, grinning as I heard her groan.

“Stop taking the attention away from you. I know what you are trying to do here.” She growled.

“What? I am doing nothing of the kind.” I said earnestly.

“Whatever, the point is go kick Kasper’s butt and make some amazingly hot male friends. Then when I come to visit I will have some super hot eye candy to look at and you can point them in my direction.”

“You would say that wouldn’t you.”

“Well someone’s got to.” Courtney chirped. “Ring me when you get back, you can tell me about the date then.”

I sighed. “I am not coming home Courtney. The Keyes decided that Kasper and I should head over to college to get set up early. Something about adapting to the environment and getting organised. Whatever the reason, I have to leave for Stanford tonight.”

“Hey, that means I won’t see you before you leave,” Courtney whined.

“I know, it sucks. You are coming up during the weekend some time though right? I can get the Keyes to pay for the airfare?”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I am sure that I can. You are my best friend after all, and I am doing the Keyes a favour.” I said affectionately, walking out of my room to sit on the bottom step on the staircase. Kasper was due to pick me up any minute.