The White House- Chapter 17

Non-editied and very tired version. Will edit when I get back from London :)

****

 Walking along the pavement in the cool autumn air, I was struck with a sudden feeling of euphoria. Although winter was fast approaching, the sun was still shinning in the sky and the light wind was trailing past my face, caressing my hair with the lightest touch. Yes, Tom was in hospital, so I shouldn't be happy, but he was going to live and that was filling me with more joy than I could possibly imagine. I was still nervous that something could go wrong, but the shinning sun and glow of the golden leaves rustling along the ground had made me feel exceedingly optimistic.

Things were surprisingly going better with Kasper, even though we had that little mishap last night, and today would be my first day at college. If that wasn't a good day in my books then I don't know what was. Okay, I could win the lotto, but what are the chances of that?

Looking over my shoulder, I smiled up at Kasper, laughing at the shocked expression that crossed his face. He was quick to return the smile though, making my hand itch to reach out and prod the corner of his face, where the edge of his sexy dimples started.

Blinking, I shook my head. No, that was a crazy thought. What sane person would think that? I was definitely going insane.

With a small sigh, I turned back to look at the concrete and focused on walking the short distance up to the Hospital entrance. Kasper had driven us to get some food, before quickly taking me to see Tom, much to his disproving frowns and half-objections. He listened to me though and that’s what counts.

Taking large strides, I zoned in on the reception desk, putting on an appealing smile for the small, brown-haired lady behind the counter. My smile was wasted though because she didn't even bat me an eyelid, all her focus was on Kasper and the lopsided grin he had plastered across his mouth.

I waited a little while for the lady to snap out of her little stare-athon before I grew impatient. How much time does one lady need to gawk for? It wasn't like he was a completely different species! If she knew what a jerk or how much of a jerk he was, past tense, then she would be looking at him with a frown, not like she was having a daydream about licking cream of his chest.

With a sharp elbow, I jabbed him in the stomach, getting a small growl in response. "Stop dazzling the receptionist. I want to get to college," I told him with a disproving frown.

"Dazzling? What are you talking about? I'm just standing here and waiting for the lady to realise that you're there." I knew he was fooling around with me though because he had that twinkle in his eye that screamed 'I'm so outshining you right now'.

"Oh come on," I all but cried, looking at him with disbelief. "You have got to know that you have this kind of effect on other women."

"What effect? Are you saying that you are affected by my dazzling good looks?"

"You're a jerk." With a disdainful sneer, I took a step forward so that I was now leaning against the reception desk rather than just standing before it. "Excuse me?" I said loudly, projecting my voice to the lady who was still gawping at Kasper.

"That's a yes," Kasper said smugly from behind me, the grin that was evidently displayed across his face, interlaced with his tone of voice.

With a push on the counter, I pushed myself round on the balls of my feet. "No - it doesn't. I said other people, putting a great amount of stress on the 'other', okay?"

"I don't believe you," Kasper told me, his voice dropping so that it sounded almost predatory. "And do you know why I don't believe you?"

Staring up at him with confusion, I tried to take a step back, but my back was already pushed against the desk so there was nowhere to go. With this realisation, I pushed out my chin and glared at him defiantly. "Why then? Mr. Smarty pants."