The White House- Chapter 19

AN: Not edited fully.

*******************************

Looking down at the small leaflet I had picked up on the side wall, I looked at the back map just to make sure that I was in the right place. After gazing at the map for a few seconds I was sure that I was heading in the right direction, so I hitched up my bag on my shoulder and continued walking down the hall till I arrived outside the correct lecture theatre.

Smiling to myself, I walked through the doors and went to find myself a seat near the middle. A few seconds later two bodyguards appeared at the door looking slightly breathless, the edge of their suits crumpled and their faces turning a pale pink.

With a wide mouth, I watched as they made it down the steps till they got to my row.

"Hello," said the familiar looking bodyguard who stood in front of the other one. I quickly placed his identity as Frank, the guard who I talked to at the amusement park with the wife he wanted me to meet.

Trying to hide any surprise, I looked at them with a permanent scowl, trying to mask the jittery nerves floating in my stomach as I watched the two men dressed in black suits sit down beside me. For some reason, since the other night I was all nerves and I really didn't like that. "Hi," I grumbled, not impressed, pulling my lip into my mouth and biting down on it gently. "Um, why are you here?"

The guy who I recognised gave a twitchy smile before his face once again became bland and devoid of any expression. "We were assigned to you."

I let my eyebrows furrow further in annoyance, but not by the thought of have two bodyguards. I could understand Kasper wanting someone to keep an eye on me, especially after what I had just witnessed as well as the shooting of Tom, but the realisation that I wasn't going to ever be able to go anywhere on my own again was a bit of a downer.

"Oh okay," I murmured still deep in thought. So did that mean I wouldn't even be able to go down to the shops by myself? I guess not.

"Like she needs help protecting herself," came the curt response from the other bodyguard who was shadowed behind Frank.

Leaning forward I scowled at the guard, narrowing my eyes further when I realised who it was -- Jared.

"What are you doing here?" I snapped, brushing my hair away from my face furiously. Trying to figure out in my mind what I was going to say or do.

"What do you mean, 'what are you doing here'? It's my job," Jared said with a heavy shrug, the malice in his voice making me shrink back slightly. There was something about this guy. Something that I really, really didn't like and it had nothing to do with the fact that I lost Rock, Paper, and Scissors with him.

"Oh okay," I said slightly deflated, my mind pinging at me that there was something I should know, should recognize. Shaking the feeling off with a shrug, I let my attention fall back to the front of the theatre where a man with a shaggy mob of silvering hair and a short corpulent nose was standing at the front, one hand shoved into the pocket of his russet jacket.

He cleared his throat before he began talking, his voice fluid but also turning into the monotone that used to send me asleep during class in school. Great, I thought with exasperation, the fact he had a monotone voice meant I had to concentrate that much harder.

As he talked about his expectations, I sank further down in my chair, cradling the notepad that I had in my lap. Last year I had studied first year business studies as I wanted to have the knowledge of how to run my own small business. Yes, I wanted to be a children's TV presenter, but that was only one of many ideas. If there was one thing I would say about myself, it is that I am extremely indecisive until the moment I make a decision. Once I made a decision I was adamant about sticking to it. Wasn't exactly a good quality, but the way I saw it, I was at least loyal to those I trusted.