Hunter: I fucked up

2 years ago...

"How could you?"

I could hear the accusation in his words, the pain caused by my betrayal weighed heavily in every syllables. Despite that, Cain still looked like he couldn't believe I had it in me to do what I did and that was where he was wrong. I would do it all over again without hesitation if I had to.

I wanted to laugh at how I somehow always managed to fuck up every good thing that comes my way. I could have sworn it was a fucking talent. If I didn't love myself so much, I was sure I would despise me like everyone else does.

"It's the right thing to do." I said. It sounded funny coming from me. Since when did I care about the rights and wrongs? My moral compass had been a little rusty ever since I discovered the internet.

Cain glared at me, his eyes rimmed with red.

"You betrayed us to save your own skin!"

I didn't bother with denials. It was just a waste of time and energy. I turned my attention back to the pile of clothes on my bed. I picked them up and arranged them neatly inside my luggage.

"Are you done?" I asked without looking at him. The conversation was starting to wear me out. I had already heard the same words of accusations from Maria. It couldn't get any worse than that. "Because I really don't have time for this. I have an early flight tomorrow, I need my beauty sleep."

I felt a hand grabbed me by the shoulder and shoved me hard on the wall. My head hit the wooden frame of Mom's painting and it toppled straight to the floor.

Great. If I ever did survive Cain, I was sure my mom would kill me instead for destroying one of her masterpieces.

"Don't fuck with me, Dean." he said through gritted teeth. "Give me Cerberus and I might even forgive you for this."

His words amused me so much that I had to laugh. Fuck Cerberus.

"It's gone." I said matter-of-factly.

Cain's eyes blazed with hatred, something he usually reserved for our enemies. I was his enemy now.

"You son of a bitch!" He punched me in the face, so hard, I saw stars. I felt my fist clenched involuntarily, my natural instinct to hit back too overwhelming that I had to count to ten to stop myself from killing the asshole. So much for my beauty sleep.

It was tragic, seeing our two years of friendship fall apart before my eyes. I reminded myself that I chose this.

Destroying Cerberus was the one decision I got right. Something that dangerous wasn't meant to exist. Being its creator was a sin I had to pay for the rest of my life.

God, I sounded like a fucking martyr.

"I will ruin you. I swear, I fucking will." Cain spat at me.

I couldn't help it. I let out a dry bark. Everything seemed funnier when you're fucked up.

"Good luck with that." I said, chuckling with amusement. "There was nothing left in me to ruin, my friend."

The CIA made sure of that.

***

2 years and a month ago....