Chapter 8: Playing Friends and Falling Hearts

This was a secret:

Back when I was in seventh grade, I had a secret admirer.

I knew it was unbelievable. Who in his right mind would like an awkward nerd like me? I didn't even like myself sometimes.

But miraculously, someone did.

That someone would always slip funny and adorable notes inside my locker every day.

Pick up lines like, "You make me wanna major in photography because I can definitely picture us together!" and "Out of curiosity, were you born on a plane? Cause baby, you're so FLY!" though painfully corny, never failed to make me laugh.

Being anti-social that I was even back then, I did not expect that someone would notice me and even admire my weirdness. Weeks passed and I was becoming more and more curious about the identity of my secret admirer. I was dying to know him (or probably her, who knew?).

One day, I put a sticky note on my locker door that says, "Who are you?", that was my first ever attempt at flirting. I knew it was pathetic, but hey, we were all pathetic at seventh grade, right?

You could imagine my excitement when at the end of the day; I saw a writing below the note that says: "School pool. 5pm. See you there."

I was so excited that I even tried to put make on, if you could believe that! I was sure I looked like a clown with a serious case of social anxiety back then but I couldn't care less. I was almost skipping while on my way to the school pool. I was thinking, I'll finally meet him!

I didn't even care about his looks. I was sure I wouldn't have cared even if he looked like Freddie Krueger's identical twin. I was just thankful and flattered that someone was observant enough to notice me and take note of my existence. I was getting used to being ignored and being treated like air. I needed to thank him for seeing me.

There were a few people around the pool when I arrived. I remembered glancing around; trying to guess who among those people was my secret admirer. I didn't have a single clue.

Suddenly, a chubby fourth grader approached me and gave me a folded red paper.

"Some guy told me to give that to you." He said, and then he ran away after giving me a teasing look.

I unfolded the paper and tried to decipher the unfamiliar messy handwriting.

"Dear Skylar,

Roses are red, violets are blue, this doesn't rhyme, I like you.

Sincerely...."

I was too close to reading the name when I heard someone called me.

"Hey!" I looked around and saw Hunter Cole, standing just a few feet away, looking at my direction like he'd just seen a ghost. Rush was standing beside him and he seemed to be laughing his ass off.

I got so scared to see those notorious trouble makers looking at me that I accidentally dropped the letter.

I bent to pick it up.

A flash of green, Hunter's shout, a throbbing pain in my forehead later, and the next thing I knew, I was almost drowning in the school swimming pool.

The rest was history.

My secret admirer probably got scared when he found out I unknowingly got on the bad side of Hunter, or he probably saw me pathetically gasped for air while drowning in the swimming pool and decided the wet look didn't look good on me, or he might have realized I wasn't worth the time after all... either way, he decided to bail out on me.