Bonus Chapter I: Hunter's Request

Collin's POV

Seventh Grade...

"Settle down, ladies. Put some clothes on before we start this friendly conversation."

All of us boys in the football team's locker room almost jumped out of surprise when Hunter Cole suddenly entered the room like he owned the whole place.

He casually sat beside me and put his arm around my shoulders all while sucking on a strawberry flavoured lollipop. His actions thoroughly confused me as I'd never talked to this guy before. I only knew him because the he had earned himself a reputation after the series of awesome pranks he spearheaded against some of the bullies in the higher year.

"What are you doing here, Cole?" Kenji snapped as he hurriedly put on a shirt. Most of us just came from the shower so we were in some level of undress, one way or another.

Hunter gave him a disappointed look.

"Aren't you happy to see me, Yamamoto?"

Kenji's eyebrows furrowed.

"Why would I be? We're not even friends. And you're not even in the football team."

"Well, my mum told me my mere presence can brighten up a whole room."

All the other boys in the locker room groaned.

"Are you for real?" Said my twin brother, Connor, incredulously.

Hunter looked at him then back at me and then back at him again.

"Wow. It's like you two are the same person." He said in wonder and awe.

Connor rolled his eyes at him.

"That's called being identical twins."

Hunter shrugged. He pulled the lollipop out of his mouth and leaned in closer to me.

"Is he always that grumpy?" He asked in a semi-whisper that I was sure Connor could still hear.

I grinned.

"Yeah, most of the time."

Hunter nodded as if in understanding before smiling widely at my now thoroughly annoyed twin.

"Anyway, ladies, I came here to get your agreement about something very important to me and most likely not that much to you." Hunter announced.

He stood up and walked around the room, giving each of the boys a glance over like what drill sergeants do to their subordinates. It would have been intimidating if he did not have a lollipop in his mouth.

"Why should we care?" Huffed Kyle Jenkins, our team's linebacker.

Hunter gave him a sweet smile.

"Because you don't want to be on my bad side, Jenky-didums."

"What the fuck?" Muttered Kyle in disbelief, giving all of us a look that says: Can you believe this guy?

I gave him a noncommittal shrug. I had to admit I was curious.

"I'll make this clear and simple to you, darlings," Hunter continued as if he wasn't interrupted in the first place. "Don't touch Skylar Davies, better known as the girl I almost drowned in the school pool yesterday." He looked at each of us straight in the eyes, demonstrating how serious he was. "She's mine. Just because I almost killed her doesn't mean she's a new target. That was a mistake on my part." He took a deep breath and gave us a sorrowful expression. "I know, even the best fall down sometimes." He said in a dramatic voice.

He was still walking back and forth in front of us with his hands clasped at his back like a military officer.

I knew the girl he was talking about. Kenji had a big crush on Skylar. He was always posting sweet nothings on her locker door, like some kind of a stalker. My brother and I never fail to give him hell about it.

I also knew what happened yesterday. It was true that other students, especially notorious bullies, were now making Skylar their new target. Hunter was one of the most popular guys in our school so being on his bad side meant being on the bad side of the whole school. Since the news of Hunter hitting Skylar with a tennis ball spread faster than a California wildfire, a lot of people thought she got on the bad side of Hunter.

If he really didn't mean to bully her yesterday, then I could understand why he was doing this. He was setting the record straight and putting her under his protection.

Man, this guy is in-love.

"Why did you do it, then? You almost killed her!" Kenji accused. I knew he would take offense and he didn't fail my expectation.

Hunter stopped pacing and stood in front of him. He sucked his lollipop first before he took it out of his mouth and pouted his lips.

"I don't appreciate your cheesy post it notes on her locker door, Yamamoto."
Kenji's brows furrowed but I saw his cheeks turned a little red. He looked extremely annoyed and a bit embarrassed.

I watched them with amusement.

"I don't care about your opinion of me, Cole." Kenji said, fighting an intense blush.

Hunter walked over to him. He put his left arm on Kenji's right shoulder. It was obvious he was putting all his weight to it because Kenji unconsciously crouched a bit. Then he whispered to his ear, hiding his mouth using his hand.

"Now, Kenji, I happen to know Skylar's dad and he specifically told me he doesn't want boys near his daughter." He said in the same voice little kids use when they tell you a big secret. It defeated the purpose of hiding his mouth since we all could still hear every word of what he was saying. "So, I advise you stay away from my Skylar and respect her dad's wishes. Okay?"

Hunter didn't give him a chance to reply because he already started walking around the room again to give each of my team mates a high five.

"Thanks for your cooperation, guys! I knew I can always count on you." He said cheerfully.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw all the confused faces of my team mates as they reluctantly raise their hand to accept Hunter's high five. Even Connor wasn't able to resist him.

"You're crazy, man." I told him when it was my turn.

Hunter grinned.

"Crazy about her."

I gave him a friendly tap on the back to show him my support. It wasn't everyday you come across someone this whipped about a girl.

He waved happily at us before he left the room as quickly as he entered.

"That guy's weird." Connor said while shaking his head.

"That weird guy is someone we shouldn't mess with." Said Tod, our team captain.

The boys nodded in agreement.

I shot Kenji an inquiring look.

"So what are you going to do now?"

He let out a deep sigh.

"Sky deserves someone who's crazy in love with her." He said, then he looked at the door where Hunter disappeared from. "And we already know I'm not that guy."

I smiled because deep inside, I knew he made the right decision.

***

A/N:

Hi awesome readers! Just want to let you know that I made a Pranks and Kisses Playlist on Spotify. You can listen to all my songspiration while writing this book. Just click on this link: https://open.spotify.com/user/iziatan0727/playlist/37JZwGCvVYX5vOj2BblmcU?si=rvfbKGIBRKK8jheBBMXGNA

Enjoy!