Chapter 19: The Past and The Curious

"At the same time, I wanna hug you, I wanna wrap my hands around your neck.

You're an asshole but I love you and you make me so mad I ask myself,
Why I'm still here, or where could I go? You're the only love I've ever known.

But I hate you, I really hate you,
So much, I think it must be true love..."

-True Love, Pink

***

I jumped out of bed when I heard our door bell ringing. My parents already left and I wasn't expecting any visitors at this time of the night. I was immediately on high alert.

I grabbed my cellphone and glanced at the time. It was already 9 in the evening. I was home alone and someone was waiting for me outside. I was sure I'd already seen scenes like this in horror movies.

"Please, God, don't go full Conjuring on me." I silently prayed.

Tiptoeing towards the window, I felt like I could potentially encounter a serial killer, a brigade of the undead, or maybe just a run-of-the-mill ax murderer.

I peeked outside, ready to call 911 if I saw something suspicious.

I saw Hunter standing on our front porch, wearing a Yankees ball cap like he was some kind of a sporty poltergeist.

Yep, that definitely looked suspicious.

I unlocked my phone and dialed his number. It rung for a while before he answered.

"What do you want?" I demanded. I had a really bad day so excuse me if I wasn't in the mood for jovial greetings.

I only heard grumbling on the other line.

"Hello?" I asked once again.

Still grumbling.

I must admit I felt slightly concerned at that point. Hunter never missed a chance to use his self-proclaimed sexy telephone voice.

Something must be really wrong with him.

I ended the call and ran down the stairs, promising myself I'd give him a good beating if he was just playing pranks on me.

I opened the door, ready to give him a piece of my mind but before I could do so, he collapsed onto me. I grunted from the impact.

"Woah!" I grabbed him by the shoulder to prevent us from toppling onto the floor. I took a look at his face and saw how pale he was. "Hunter, are you okay?" I said in concern.

He mumbled something incomprehensible.

"What? I didn't get that." I said, trying to steady him.

One of his arms snaked around my head and the other on my waist as he buried his face to my neck. His warm breath sent bolts of electricity down my spine.

"S-sky..." He mumbled, his voice sounded pained.

"What is it?" I asked, really nervous now.

As much as I normally wished he would get swallowed up into the nearest sinkhole, the fact was, I really cared for this guy. I didn't want to see him in pain.

"Sky, I need..."

"What? What do you need?"

He was starting to scare the hell out of me. Was he hurt? Did Cain and his minions beat him up? I didn't see any visible physical injury but maybe they were hidden under his clothes? Should I do a more thorough check? Should I ask him to strip?