Sixteen | When Doves Cry

Sixteen
__________________________

By Wednesday, everyone seemed to get used to the idea of me arriving to and from school with Tyler, but that didn't stop the crazy rumors from circulating.

I didn't really care today, though, because Charlie would be arriving sometime after I got home, and all I could think about was seeing his bright blue eyes and hearing his charming British accent.

I made it through my classes, and was now skipping towards Tyler's car in joy. For once, he was already there, so we left as soon as I slid into his car.

Today I had swept my long dark hair into a high ponytail, instead of just leaving it down like usual. Tyler, of course, tugged on my ponytail the second I slid into the car, causing me to swat his hand away.

He was looking at me with a curious expression instead of his usual smug look. "Why'd you wear your hair up today anyway?"

I shrugged. "I Felt like it? Why?"

"No reason."

...

It was now 4:30, and I was buzzing with excitement. I looked down and examined myself; my t-shirt was faded, and my blue skinny jeans had holes in the knees, but it would do. It's not like Charlie would care, he was my best friend, maybe even more so than Alyssa.

Tyler was upstairs in his room while I was standing in the kitchen, munching on some Cheetos.

Soon, the doorbell rang, and I dashed across the house and yanked open the door. Charlie was standing there, looking just the same as I'd last seen him: slightly messy dirty blond hair, and electric blue eyes. My best friend was here.

I immediately broke into a huge grin, and wrapped my arms around him. He hugged me back tightly, and I sighed in happiness; he smelt like he always did, Juicy Fruit gum.

"Lauren, darling, how are you?" He asked, making his accent even more dramatic than usual.

"Dandy. How about yourself, young Charlie?" I asked, mimicking him.

He laughed and ruffled my hair, which caused it to come loose from its ponytail. I yanked the hairband fully out, shaking my hair and letting it loose.

I noticed all Charlie had was his phone and a tiny black backpack with him, making me snicker. Typical Charlie, he was probably going to just use Trent's clothes.

I grabbed his arm and pulled him into the house. "Come with me to my room, I have so much to tell you!"

I ran up the stairs with him close behind, and was about to go to my room, when I ran straight into something.

Or somebody.

I looked up into Tyler's brown eyes as he steadied me. He raised an eyebrow, looking amused.

I snapped back into reality and cleared my throat, looking back at Charlie, who had a knowing smile on his face. "Oh, shut up!", I hissed at him, trying to sound mad, but I just couldn't with Charlie.

I remembered that Tyler was standing in front of me, "Oh. Um, Charlie, this is Tyler. Tyler, my best friend Charlie."

"Sup, mate?" Charlie said, stepping around me and doing the half hug knuckle thing with Tyler that guys do.

Tyler said hi back, and they started a brief conversation, making me roll my eyes. I tugged at Charlie's arm. "Charlie, come on."

He laughed and followed me to my room. I shut my bedroom door behind us, sticking my tongue out at Tyler when I saw him staring at me.