Twenty Two | Don't You Want Me

Twenty Two
___________________________

"Mom, Brandon's giving me a ride to school!" I yelled to the kitchen where she and Trent were standing.

It was Monday morning and I was running a little late. I fluffed out my hair a little, letting it fall around my shoulders over my purple hoodie.

"Okay! I love you honey, be safe!" Mom hollered.

I rolled my eyes and slung my book bag over my shoulder, stepping out front.

My eyes went wide at what I saw; Tyler was standing in front of his car, sending a menacing glare to Brandon, who was leaning against his.

"What is he doing here?" Tyler asked in a rough, angry voice.

I gulped, "He's giving me a ride. So...um, I guess I'll see you later." I rushed over to Brandon and practically threw myself into the passenger seat of his little, old car.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust and groaned in frustration; I forgot how his car reeked of cinnamon.

A few seconds later, Brandon slid into the drivers seat and put the already idling car into gear.

After a few minutes of silent driving, he looked over at me. "So, remember the plan?" I asked.

"Yup". He nodded, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to an imaginary beat.

After my initial surprise when he confided in me about being gay, I had been struck with a wild idea. It had taken a little groveling (okay, a lot), but he'd finally given in and agreed to what I'd proposed.

The "plan" was for Brandon to be my fake boyfriend to see how, if at all, it affects Tyler... and it wouldn't be weird at all because he's gay.

Suddenly remembering something, I turned to Brandon, "Hey, when you asked me out, was that only so people would think you were straight?" He smiled at me sheepishly and nodded.

"Ouch," I held my heart in fake insult, soon letting out a laugh. "I'm just kidding, it's okay."

His sorry expression turned into a roll of his eyes and him turning up the radio, ending any conversation for the rest of the ride.

Brandon pulled into the car parking lot, and he turned the car off, the engine making a little sputtering noise before it finally died.

I stepped out of the car, brushing off the back of my black skinny jeans, and anxiety churned through my stomach.

What if Tyler didn't fall for our act? Or even worse, what if he didn't even care, and I was just imagining that he might actually have feelings for me?

These thoughts swirled through my mind as we walked towards the front entrance.

Walking through the hallway towards my locker, Brandon entwined his fingers with mine, and a jolt of excitement coursed through me. Not that I liked Brandon remotely in any way like that, but because it was fun having a boyfriend, even if it was only pretend.

I couldn't help but grin hugely at Audrey's flabbergasted expression, from where she was leaning against my locker.

I laughed out loud when we reached her, and she sputtered out, "Lauren I..But I... you two..wha?"

Pulling my hand free from Brandon's, I grabbed Audrey's shoulders, and forced her to look me in eye.

"Calm down before you go into cardiac arrest, Audrey."

She gave an uneasy laugh, playing with a curl of her blonde hair. "Then do you mind explaining, please?"

I bit my lip, weighing my options. I had two choices; one would be to explain everything to her, and admit my feelings towards Tyler, and the other would be to tell her that Brandon and I started dating.