Chapter 39

After Gio and I had finished eating, we sat on his couch together and chatted while we watched TV. The way Gio had spoken to me and behaved towards me, it was hard to believed that he was involved in any Mafia group. But being apart of a family that was involved in the Mafia as well, I knew that all the lovely, calm and peaceful behaviour could very well be only a small part of who Gio was or a cover up from what the real Gio was like.

I had always heard about this thing called emotional attachment, it made people weak and I believed that that was exactly what had happened to me. I had gotten too emotionally attached to Gio in the short period of time o had known him, when I wasn't supposed to. From day one, getting close to Gio was just so that I could figure out if he was a threat or not and involved in Mafia. However, the closeness became more than just about figuring things out.  Feelings somehow got involved- at least I was certain on my side.

"Is everything alright?" Gio asked as he rubbed my shoulders.

"Yeah, of course. Everything is great. Why would you asked that?" I gave him a confused look.

"I don't know, its just that you've been extremely quiet this evening." Gio said to me. "I'm starting to get this feeling that something is bothering you."

"What? No, I'm fine. I've just been thinking about some things." I told him.

"Like what?" Gio inquired.

"Uhm, you and I." I said to him.

"What do you mean?" Gio asked.

"I mean what are we doing exactly? I don't want you to think I'm insinuating anything but I sort of feel confuse. I don't know where I stand in your life or anything. I usually know what part I play exactly in someone's life but now I'm not sure about any of that." I said to him.

"Lexi I..." Gio started but I cut him off.

"I mean are we just friends, friends with benefits, am I your booty call or are we more than just that? If we aren't you can tell me......"

"Lexi just listen to me for a minute." Gio stopped me from ranting any further.

"Ok," I nodded, "I'm listening."

"When I just met you, I had no intention of getting in a relationship. My life has always been too complicated for relationships, but then I got to know you more and even though it has been that long since we've met, I think you do know by now that I've developed feelings for you despite me trying not to. And before you misinterpret what i meant, I want to clarify. I have this thing... about developing feelings, it just..."

"I think I got it," I responded "You're scared to do so because you're afraid that it'll somehow make you weaken."

"Yeah, exactly." Gio responded, "How did you know that's what I wanted to say?"

"Because you're not the only one who feels that way."

"Lexi, I know that in my field of business it can sometimes caused danger for those I'm involved with..."

"What do you mean your field of business?" I cut him off even though he had told me to listened to him for a minute. I couldn't helped but wondered if that was his subtle way of telling me about his mafia involvement.

"I'm a business man Lexi, I'm sure you are aware that business men tend to have enemies at times. What I'm saying is that I don't want any danger coming to you but if you were mine I'd go out of my way to protect you." Gio said to me.

"So what exactly are you saying?" I asked him.

"I am saying I want you to be mine." Gio said to me.

"Yours?" I clarified.

"Yes. Be my girlfriend. What do you say about that?" Gio smiled at me.

"Are you serious?" I asked him.

"Very serious." Gio responded, "So will you give me the chance to call you my girlfriend?"

"Yes." I nodded then smiled back at him.

"Good." Gio said before he began kissing me.

We spend the rest of the night making love on his couch, in the shower then in the early parts of the morning in his bed. It wasn't an extremely bad way to start off our relationship as being officially together. I figured that I might as well enjoy our good times together until Gio figured out my secret.