Chapter Six: Teasing

The week flew by and before they knew it everybody was getting ready for the next day. Though they hoped the great detective would be surprised, in the back of their heads they knew he had deduced it by now. Yet another case was solved by the doctor and his friend, the latter was now bored on his couch. The former was in an upstairs room of the bakery with Isabella who had just put the cake in the freezer.

The plans were quite simple. Mrs. Hudson would make the food and act as if she was just doing some nervous cooking. Molly would be the one to distract Sherlock with a new body for an experiment, though they worried it would keep him for the whole day instead. John would be the one decorating their apartment with police tape, provided by Lestrade. He would then be the one to provide an old case for Sherlock if he seemed too uncomfortable with the party. Then, of course, John would help Bella deliver the cake and other sweets to Baker St. It wasn't bulletproof but they sure hoped things worked out.

"So, are you and Mycroft...y'know?"

"No I told you, we're just friends, if you can even say that."

"But that's not what you want is it?" The doctor quickly replied.

"There's no having a relationship with that man, as much as I wanted to, John. He's a very smart man and keep in mind he's practically the British government and me...well I'm just a..."

"Goldfish?" He finished for her because he knew how that felt. Though he hadn't admitted it to himself, much less someone else.

"You never know Bella, I mean he does text you and you can't forget about that wink a few days ago."

"Oh John, I'm sure he meant it in a friendly way. Because that's what we are if anything at all, just friends."

"But he loves cake!! It's like a fairytale, destiny even! It's an obvious match!"

"Like doctor and detective?" She retorted.

"Ha ha ha, don't make me laugh." John responded with much sarcasm.

"What about you and your doodling, hmm? They're highly detailed. I can't remember but I believe I even saw Isabella Holmes written in there somewhere." John wore a smirk on his face when he said this but Bella only ignored him.

Not being able to stop the blush that swept across her face, she quickly changed the topic.

"Everything is in order, so it's safe to say we're done for today. Are you ready?"

John suddenly got nervous about how Sherlock would react. Hopefully things wouldn't go sour like it had with Molly during that one christmas party. He didn't want Sherlock to be upset with John for putting him in this sort of situation. He knew how much he thought birthdays were irrelevant.

"Yeah, I mean he's going to read it off of me like a book but I hope he likes it." He smiled shyly.

"I'm sure he'll love it John. You can't really believe he's a machine, I've seen how he looks at you when you're not looking. The both of you actually, it's quite entertaining." She said the last part more to herself.

John laughed, "It looks like we're both in the same boat then."

This made Bella laugh as well.

"Pair of goldfish, huh?"

"Yup" They smiled at each other and then at themselves for liking men whom they thought to have no chance with. But both of them also thought the other was completely wrong.