Chapter Eight: Slice of Cheesecake

"Wait a minute, I thought you said that you always had a car available?" A drenched Bella inquired once Mycroft hurried into the bakery after her.

"Yes well I wasn't expecting it to...rain suddenly, I don't go out frequently...I suppose." He gulped, knowing that he had dismissed the driver. He decided he would offer to walk with Isabella after the party which would be longer than a car ride. She was clearly not frightened by his demeanor but he was nervous about what she shared with the younger Holmes and his dear friend. Had they really talked about him before they had met? Mycroft didn't want to think about the horrible things his brother had probably said about him but he couldn't stop wondering what her thoughts were about him.

"Oh right, because that would explain why you always carry an umbrella?" She questioned with an eyebrow raised.

He pondered for a second staring at his feet before realizing who he was. He was a clever man, no one made him nervous and he couldn't let Bella in too much. It was all too new for him.

He peered up at her and with a smirk, replied, "It's more than just an umbrella, Ms.Thornfield."

"Yeah I guessed that much from the very impressive presentation I got the other day. I bet it's a sword." She eyed him warily, looking for a hint that she was right.

He gave her a smile smirk, whether it confirmed her suspicions or it gave him an idea, she wasn't sure.

"How about that cheesecake then?" She changed the subject, thankful he didn't ask any questions about about Jacob.

"Would you like to help me? You don't have to I-" She mumbled.

"I would love to." Mycroft smiled softly and followed her to the back as he slipped off his jacket.

Bella's breath hitched as he rolled up his sleeves. They went about measuring the ingredients and putting everything together. Even sharing a laugh at getting messy due to Bella's clumsiness.

After putting it in the oven, Mycroft inquired, "Why did you leave the US?"

"It was getting a bit boring, I needed something new and I've always wanted to live in London."

"Did your family hate it?" He wondered as he imagined his mother scolding him for going too long without visiting her.

She silently hoped she didn't appear to be silly or childish. Baking was what she loved and if Mycroft deemed it useless, well she couldn't even bare the thought. He loved what she made right? She didn't want to appear idiotic in the rude way her family saw her.

"Only my parents, they wanted me to be a role model, it was adorable when I was younger but then they expected me to be interested in something more serious. When I couldn't handle it anymore, I left. My aunt lives here, she travels a lot but she's always been there to support me." She laughed a bit.

He gave her a small smile in return, still feeling awkward, but he continued to ask her questions. After the cheesecake was ready, Mycroft would sigh with content from being comfortable in the presence of another person and being his sugar-loving self. Sometimes he would blush remembering Sherlock's comments about his weight but would feel almost relieved by Bella's smile.

They sat there for hours but it didn't feel like it at all. Mycroft was surprised at the way Bella could make intellectual conversation and yet be completely casual. She was mesmerizing. Bella would surprise him from what she would share with him, things he hadn't seen before. Especially as he learned that there was much more to her than just baking.

Soon enough, Mycroft become so relaxed. His tie was gone as it kept getting in the way and a couple of his shirt buttons had come undone. She let herself look at him up and down but failed to do it discreetly and had blushed when she'd been caught. Just after, Bella removed her shoes and slid around the counter in her soft stockings. He had admired her beauty, though in a more subtle way. Mycroft wasn't sure if Bella truly took interest in him, even if the obvious signs were there. Pupils dilated, nervousness, increased heart rate, and simply the way she looked at him. Not as if he was a monster but as a human being. The consequences of this would run through his mind randomly though he knew there was nothing he could do. But perhaps this was only infatuation, perhaps smart was the new sexy and that's what had caught her attention. But then why hadn't she taken interest in Sherlock?

Before they realized it, the sun had began to shine through the windows of the bakery. It gave it a sense of something new blooming and there was.

Just before Mycroft would bid the baker goodbye, he felt as though something had to be done. With a shaking hand and his other at his side, clenched and sweaty, he slowly lifted her chin with his finger. They gazed at each other, both blushing and completely lost as to what the next move was.

Deciding that she would close the space, Bella rested her hand on his chest. Standing on her toes, she inched her lips towards his. Knowing that she did in fact welcome this touch, Mycroft softly placed his other hand on the middle of her back, still slightly shaking but supporting her. Finally did they reach each other and discover the feeling of the other's lips. It was nothing like they had imagined, which was plenty of times on both parts.

Holding one another closely nervously, they pulled away slowly wanting to remember every detail of the moment into their memories, though the task wasn't difficult for Mycroft. The kiss was nothing either had expected, it was blissful and loving.

"Would it be inconvenient if I were to ask you to spend some time with me on Tuesday? It seems to be the only day I'm not busy every minute of." He asked.

"Actually, it sounds perfect." She answered dreamily, still taking in that Mycroft had actually kissed her.

"We can decide the details later, I apologize but I really must go. Have a wonderful day Isabella."

Slowly and reluctantly, he removed his arms that had been resting loosely around her waist. She frowned from the loss of contact but continued to look lovingly up at him.

"I hope you do as well, Mycroft."

With another soft but shorter kiss on the edge of her lips, he left the bakery. Both thinking back to the kiss they had shared and wondering when they would be able to again.