Chapter 1:

Ow!

The sharp green prickle on the rose provokes the tiny red liquid to tumble down my finger, making my hand to instantly gravitate towards it and suck on it, while my mind focuses on one thing: the beautiful rose in front of me. This is probably the last one that will ever grow on this stem for this year, signalling the end of summer.

I am about to snatch it off of the green stem, when it suddenly hits me of how wrong it would be.

Maybe I should let it grow.

The brown puff of hair in the near distance leads me to spy at my new neighbor and how ridiculously he is screeching at the German Shepherd of a dog's owner, making his face turn into this ridiculous expression that makes my insides twist with fear.

"But, this is private property!" My new neighbor screams, receiving a few mumbles from the dog's owner, that go unheard.

His piercing brown eyes soon scan his surroundings, while stopping at me for a second and then instantly looking away at the dog and his owner slowly walking down the street, probably never ever coming back. I push away the insane thought of my new neighbor, as some kind of a treacherous criminal, while destroying me and my family's hope of this new neighbor being better than the last ones. The last couple living here, almost impossibly ruined our living with a loud obnoxious fight full of screams, every night.

I instantly shiver as a soft tap on my shoulders awaken me from my thoughts. I look away to notice the main subject of my thoughts, standing straight in front of me, with an innocent look on his pretty cute of a face, that makes me question the scene I just saw.

"Um..hey, I'm Josh." He says, while forming a smile across his face.

"Oh...hey, I'm Abigail." I reply, in an attempt to not sound afraid or anything that I was when he was dealing with that dog's owner.

"Uh..Abigail, uhh..was just wondering when your school starts? Since I'm starting there too, now. Obviously." He says, with a smirk.

"Umm... It usually starts September 9th." I reply.

I stare at the dark mark beside his left eye that somehow makes him look even better, while his brown puffy hair add the perfect finishing touch to his features.

"Thanks." He says, with a huge grin.

It doesn't take any longer for me to realize I haven't smile even once, while keeping a straight face. I instantly look up in an attempt to smile, when I realize he is already gone and out of reach. I just stand there, staring into nowhere while staring at the beautiful sunset spread in front of me, signalling my parent's departure from the "adults-only" party.