Chapter 8:

The trembling shivers from my body soon slow down as Court's beautiful mom leads me on to the happenings that invaded her time, throughout my absence. She emphasizes every detail while repeatedly glancing at her daughter's very poor of a state.

About an hour later, the doctor bursts through the room panting in his hospital blue uniform, scrutinizing the room whilst keeping an expression- less wrinkled face. Mrs. Johnson rushes towards him while I pay close attention to her eyebrows, considering her eyebrows portray a lot of her emotions.

Flashback:

The sky perfectly portrayed a warm July night that amazingly craved to the fun we were yet to have, while I mustered a few words to myself before swaying down my staircase towards the rectangular doorway that signalled my win. Once I sneaked down the lane and up above the steep road, attempting to display braveness, while fear peeped in my mind repeatedly, making me gulp down a fudge of saliva, I scooted into Court's gates that she deliberately left open for me.

"Court." My sneaky voice, astonished me.

Peeping into her window, I was left destroyed temporarily by the, at that time, ridiculous of a face. She raised her eyebrows higher than anything ever did, while I glanced behind to notice Court's face covered with immense guilt.

"Abigail, can you answer if I ask you, what you are doing here?" Mrs. Johnson almost screeched with anger.

"Uhh..just checking around, you know. To see...if Court was doing well." I said, not absolutely sure if she bought my lie or just straight, neglected even listening to me.

A whole minute later, I screamed "what?!" in astonishment as everything they screamed hit me so hard.

"Are you guys serious?!" I screeched, not at all caring who the heck grows distracted from their tight midnight sleep.

"Oh hello?! Its sweet sixteen time!" Court hollered with excitement.

Mrs. Johnson noded while she laughed out louder than 'LOL' could ever mean.

"You too, Mrs. Johnson?" I say, while I felt a smile creep at the edge of my lips as they kept hollering "happy birthday!" into the midnight summer air.

~

The grin that occupies her face and reaches her eyes, makes an unexpected smile bloom on my face, while I rush down towards her. Pulling on her shoulder, I throw questions her way.

" Aby, Courtney is okay! She'll be out tomorrow night!" She screeches in the intense hospital air, while I hug her oh, so tightly.

When I look back, yet another blissful smile blooms brightly, as Josh's presence astonishes me. I instantly drag myself towards him as he smiles beautifully.

"Josh! She is okay!" I scream in that same sneaky July voice.

"I know, I know. That's awesome!" He musters happily.

As realization hits me, I stumble ahead to apologize.

"And...I'm so sorry Josh for acting all mean and...it just wasn't nice, especially,... Especially, after everything you've done for me."

He then reaches over and grasps on my hands and gives me a kind smile.

"No, that's okay. It was serious and important and it was predictable for you to act that way...I know, I know how that terror feels." He says, his face turning into a disappointed expression that reminds me of his tragedy, while I start forming questions again.

I shake off the questions, as he asks me, " so, what exactly happened to you're friend?"

What exactly happened to your mother?

I instantly remove that question from my mind, while I go ahead and repeat everything Mrs. Johnson, who is now sitting patiently, told me just minutes ago.

"Uhh...Court and her mom were driving down the road to meet me in the bowling alley when a strange guy appeared out of nowhere and purposely bashed his car on her side..." My voice broke even imagining the scene.

Josh's breathing grew louder and heavier, as I told him that and then smiled his direction, receiving a fake smile that didn't reach his eyes, from him.

"Uhh..Aby, I think you guys should go home now. I'll stay here all night...and no, don't you argue...I need her." Mrs. Johnson pleadingly says.

"Uh..okay. But take care of yourself, as well." I smile and respond.

"I'm not that old, Aby." She sarcastically remarks.

"And thank you for being here. You two seem to like each other a lot." She smiles at both of us, while warmth takes over my body.

I just smile and and walk away after stopping and stepping towards the same tough door, staring at Court through the same crooked window.

Why would anyone do such a cruel thing to her? She is so innocent. Whoever did this, he will regret it. He will.