Chapter 4:

I smile with a questioning look on my face as I half open my mouth to answer back, when my phone buzzes loudly leading Josh to raise his eyebrows higher causing his eyes to provoke a hilarious expression.

I quickly begin scrutinizing my caramel color bag for my phone and read the screen to recognize the identity behind the caller as guilt flashes over my face.

"I'm so sorry mum." I apologize.

"Ah thank god you're okay! Why didn't you text me honey?" My mum screeches with pure care and the hint of anger in her immensely loud voice. I am 100% sure, that led to the people around her to go wide-eyed irritated by this blond woman breaking the intense silence.

"I came for a walk in the park and totally forgot about it. Next time, I will be more careful mum. I'm so sorry." I say glancing repeatedly at Josh's bewildered expression that just increases my need to inform him of the problem.

"...okay sweetheart. You better be careful. Do you know much this worries me? Anyways, go home early...bye." She says, emphasizing the "much".

"Bye mum." I say, eventually ending our conversation.

I sigh heavily while still staring at Josh intensely waiting to know the issue.

"Parent problem?" He asks breaking the quite tumultuous silence.

"Yep, I always text her when I reach home and today I came to the park so, totally forgot about it." I explain.

"Got to go home now, I guess" I say, very disappointed even by the idea of departing.

"Okay, then. See you later." He says, looking very classy.

I instantly stand up and tuck my phone in my back pocket, which rarely keeps it in place. Carrying the much heavy bag of mine, I walk away towards the exit. I quickly turn my head around to glance at him when I am astonished by the fact that he is already looking at me. I blush inside as I give him a warm smile and blush even more watching that incredible smile bloom on his face.

---------------

"It was fair game, you know? But until... she ruined it." Court screeches while gulping down the ever so hot Starbuck coffee while attempting to swallow her croissant.

I nod and watch her push down the entire croissant with much effort while pouring the hot coffee down her throat. I cringe at the ridiculously crazy scene displayed in front of me.

"What? It's food. Eat however you like." She snaps at my cringing.

I sigh in frustration.

"Do you know Josh? Josh Sommers?" I ask, attempting to not only alter the conversation, but know how he is viewed by others especially after the insane conversation I heard last night.

Her expression transforms into something full of hate and disguise as she says, "oh that crazy guy? I know him and hate him. I mean, seriously, who screams at a weak person uh, homework wise, who has a hard time understanding something?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, completely oblivious of what she is reflecting to.

"Well, I asked him to tell me what the homework meant and he literally screamed at me when I didn't get it. He is a crazy one. Why? He screamed at you too?" She finishes while having a ridiculously tumultuous expression on her pale face that contains a slight shade of pink, probably pink blush.

"And you asked him out of all people, why, because he was cute?" I asked trying to ignore the question she had asked me with full interest.

She nods while staring out of the window at the insane traffic formed on the perfectly carved road that somehow engulfs you into it.

"I thought so." She finishes.

Flashback:

I opened my bedroom door effortlessly as I reckoned back to my mum giving me the longest lecture ever about me needing to be more careful. I sigh in relief that I am finally out of her tense room with my father agreeing to every word she said except to the part where she accused him of being irresponsible of his daughter. As I proceeded to read my recent book, I heard roaring from the opposite room...again. This time, however, I am wide awake and I listen to every word while guilt screams about invasion of privacy.

"What the f*** is your problem?! You killed my mother! You freak! What do you..."

Didn't his mother die in an accident?! Who is he talking to!

The screaming slowly turned into whispers as I assume, the "freak" told him to slow down and lower his volume.

~

Every word haunted me last night as I attempted to sleep packing my mind with nothing but his words and the questions that I soon managed to form.

I sure knew he was grieving, but I didn't how much worse it is for him. He is so much like the wonderful snow covering the roads, forming on car windows, slippery as to fall onto it with force, during December, constantly reminding us of both sorrow and enjoyment of the holidays that bloom a smile across our faces like flowers when you properly water them. Beautiful, yet still so sympathetic. People stamp and crunch their dirty foot on it but it still stays snow. Beautiful in its own way.