Forever Dead ::14::

This is kind of a sucky chapter :( But bare with me, it gets better in the next one.

I stared at the wall passed his head, refusing to meet his eyes. I felt his hands grip my own and I knew what I would see if I faced him. I would see the same look I see in everyone else’s eyes…pity and disgust.

I heard him take in a breath.

“Stop. Let me finish before you say anything.” I said quickly, looking down at my hands.

“On the night of October 31, 1993, Susanne Knight dialed her husbands cell to tell him she was in labor. They left their son, Charlie, with a neighbor while they went to the hospital. Susanne gave birth to a little girl that night. But something went wrong, and the baby died. In reality, she never was…Susanne gave birth to a dead baby.” I whispered. I took a breath and continued.

“ She was so upset that she passed out, and while Mr. Knight watched the nurse leave them with the body to say their goodbyes, he cried. He then heard the screams down the hall, and followed them. They were screams of a baby. He stopped outside the door 3 down from theirs and watched as a mother held her baby in her arms. He explained to me when he told me this story that the woman looked happy, and that made him angry because it was Susanne that should have been happy. He watched as she fed the baby and talked about how lucky she was to the doctor to have made it to the hospital in time. She talked about names with the nurse in the room, who jokingly suggested something like pumpkin since she was a Halloween baby.

“He stayed only long enough to find out that the woman was being discharged that night, since she had to catch a flight, she said. He watched as the nurse told her she would have to wait a few more days, but suddenly she had discharge papers ready for her to sign and the woman was getting ready to leave. Mr. Knight rushed back to his room and folded the baby’s body into blankets, and ran outside the building, not really thinking about what he was doing, but a plan formed in his head. He found a long pipe laying next to a dumpster and picked it up.

“He waited and a few moments later the strikingly beautiful woman with long dark hair stepped out of the hospital in a long dress, and the baby cooing at her side. She smiled down, and was distracted by her that she didn’t see the man. He swung the pipe at her head and caught the baby before the woman’s body hit the ground. He held the baby to his side as he swung a few more times, crushing the skull. He wiped the blood from his face and hid the bodies, his daughter and the woman’s, in the dumpster, and rushed inside the hospital.

“Nurse! He had called. ‘It’s a miracle. She is alive.’ He had said to the shocked nurse, who watched the crying baby in his arms. How was it possible? The baby had been dead, she was sure of it, she said to him. But he insisted God had granted them another chance, and the nurse took the baby to make sure she was all right. No one knew the horrible secret.

Mr. and Mrs. Knight left the next night with their daughter, and went home to pack. Mr. Knight insisted they move and start new somewhere, to celebrate the life of their daughter. Susanne agreed and they moved far, far away from that town. No one knew…that is, they didn’t find out until he killed again. My father raised me as his own. None of us knew what he had done. Years went by and no one suspected my father as anything but a great guy, until he was arrested. My father was a business man and we were used to him taking frequent trips. What we didn’t know was they weren’t for business. He was killing people….and he got away with most of them, until he slipped up and got caught.

“The whole town found out and they were disgusted with us. Most thought we knew, I mean how could we not? But we didn’t know…and we were condemned for his sins. My father requested me to come talk to him and I went. I needed to hear what he had to say. I sat across from him in the prison they were keeping him in as he told me his story. He told me what he did to my real mother, that he stole me, that I wasn’t anybody’s little girl. Then he went on to tell me about the others. All the while he had a crazy look in his eyes, like he enjoyed killing all those people.