A Very Arshi Holi: Part 2

Now, Arnav dodged countless revelers as he strode through his gardens, rolling up the sleeves of his dress shirt and looking for his family. Hunting for his wife. He found Akash and Payal on a garden swing, Payal resting her head on his shoulder as he held her hand. Their faces were a mess of colour. They were taking it easy this year – Payal had announced that she was pregnant last month.

"Arnav-ji! Come and join us," called his wife's sister.

He smiled as he approached them.

"We haven't put any colour on you yet, Bhai!" Akash observed, reaching for a platter of powder.

"Are you two taking care of yourselves?" Arnav asked, ignoring Akash.

"Yes, Arnav-ji," Payal giggled, "Akash is taking care of me very well. Don't worry about me."

"Good. Akash, make sure she has plenty of water and stays out of the sun."

"Arnav-ji, you worry about me too much. I'll be fine."

Arnav ignored her and narrowed his eyes at his brother until he nodded.

"Akash!" Payal gaped at her husband, "Don't you agree with him. Last week he carried me down the stairs! I can walk perfectly fine, jeth-ji."

Arnav just shrugged at his sister-in-law.

"Yes Bhai," Akash stood, grinning at the two of them, "Now ... the colours?"

Arnav sighed. It seemed that last year's lapse – the dancing, the bhaang, playing Holi – had destroyed a lifetime of remaining aloof. He allowed Akash and Payal to apply colour before returning the favour and embracing them. He blocked them when they tried to touch his feet as custom required. Arnav left them draped over each other on the swing and called Khushi, but it went to voicemail before she answered. He typed out a text instead.

A cursory search of the tents led him to Nani, Mama, and Mami, who greeted him enthusiastically.

"Chhote!" Nani looked at him, her eyes a little out of focus, "did you ... solve ... your problem?"

Bhaang.

"No, Nani. I'm taking a break."

"My name is Laila," announced Mami with a hiccup, offering her hand. Arnav shook it warily.

"And this is Qays ... No ... Majnu ... Majnoon ..." she continued, pointing at Mama.

"Manu?" Mama blinked at his wife, "When did I change my name?"

"You just shut-up-iyai. You ... you is not knowing any-anything," Mami retorted in her special brand of English.

"You look like you're enjoying yourselves," Arnav observed.

"Yes!" Nani smiled, "Khushi-bityaa makes the best bhaang."

"Tell the truths, Arnav-bitwaa," Mami slurred her words, "Are you looking for Khushi-bityaa?"

"He's always running towards his wife instead of running away," Mama shook his head at Arnav, "Silly boy. All that expensive schooling. Harvard. Wasted."

Nani and Mami shook their heads ruefully.

"A waste," agreed Mami.

Deciding it was best to leave them to their intoxicated fun, Arnav hastily completed the Holi rituals and asked for their blessings before inventing an excuse. Mami yelled after him.

"Catch Khushi-bityaa before she flies away, Arnav! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Next, Arnav searched the pavilion where the dancers had gathered, wheeling in dynamic rainbows as they gyrated to the music pumping through the sound system. Drummers added to the confusion. He pinched the bridge of his nose, willing his headache to stay away, and searched for Khushi.

Instead, his eyes found NK, Aarav, and Di. Arnav battled the crowds to reach them, trying to ignore the worry that was stirring inside him.

Why isn't Khushi picking up her phone?

NK had applied to a number of universities – mostly in the US and UK – and was waiting to hear back. The difference in the timing of semesters between Australia and the rest of the world had allowed him to extend his trip, but everyone knew that he would be leaving soon. Khushi prayed to her Devi Maiyaa that NK be sent to London – she'd decided that he and Lavanya would be perfect for each other and wanted them to meet. Arnav had tried to explain how big London was but Khushi was adamant that her Devi Maiyaa would handle such trivial details.

And his Di, his sweet Di, was recovering well from her ordeal. She occupied her days by working at a local orphanage that Aman had recommended and seemed much happier. Overexcited as usual, Khushi had taken this as a sign that Aman-ji and Di were destined to be together and was currently engaged in some outrageous plan with NK to this end. Arnav hadn't decided how he felt about it.

"Nannav!"

NK's high-pitched screech threatened what little peace Arnav had managed to gain. He tried to smile at his cousin before indicating that they should retreat to somewhere quieter. Outside the pavilion, Di took his hands between hers.

"Happy Holi, Chhote!" she grinned, her features partially obscured behind green and purple powder.

"Happy Holi, Di," he embraced her.

"Happy Colour-Day, Nannav!" NK clapped him on the back, "We have to smear colours all over you!"

Rolling his eyes, Arnav allowed Di to apply a tilak on his forehead before painting his cheeks with blue powder. He applied pink to her in return and took her blessings. Arnav ducked when NK reached for him, grinning, and was rewarded with green powder in his hair. Scowling, he grabbed a fistful of purple powder and threw it at his cousin while Di and Aarav laughed.

"Nannav that wasn't fair," NK complained, running his hands through his hair to dislodge some of the mess.

"Dad, can I have a water gun?"

"Sure," Arnav knelt in front of his son, "but make sure you ask people before you soak them. Some people might mind."

"Okay."

Aarav walked to a nearby table where water guns were proudly displayed. Arnav turned to his siblings.

"Have either of you seen Khushi?"

"She was making bhaang about half an hour ago but I haven't seen her since," said Di.

"She's not picking up her phone," he told his sister.

"Oh yes, she left her phone with me," Di fished it out of her handbag, "Oh, look. You called her."

"Unbelievable," Arnav ran a hand through his hair, "why does she even have that thing if she won't keep it with her? Give me that."

Khushi. Where the hell are you?

If she wasn't with Payal, Nani, or Di, he didn't know where to look for her.

"Nannav, I'll help you look for Khushi-ji."

"Okay. Thanks. Go around the front of the house and I'll go around the back. We'll meet back here in half an hour."

NK nodded.

"I'll stay with Aarav," said Di.

"Thanks, Di," Arnav tried to smile reassuringly at his sister as he pocketed Khushi's phone and walked away.