A Very Arshi Holi: Part 3

First, he checked where the bhaang was being prepared. The men told him that Khushi had left ages ago but couldn't say where she'd gone. Then, he methodically checked the places she'd told him she'd visit this morning – the tents full of water guns, the pavilions full of dancers, the lines for the carnival rides she enjoyed. She wasn't anywhere.

The only place left was the gazebo. Memories bombarded Arnav as he strode across the grounds – Khushi taking his hand and holding it against her heart, Khushi telling him that she needed him to answer a question, Khushi asking him why her heartbeat quickens whenever they're together. But the gazebo was empty when he got there.

The sudden uncoiling in his chest took his breath away. He hadn't really been worried – Khushi wouldn't have left the estate – but her absence was starting to gnaw at him. Arnav hurried back to where he was supposed to meet NK, his eyes darting left and right, hoping for a glimpse of her white salwaar suit, her long plait, her brilliant smile.

"Arnav-ji!"

He turned to see a blur of white launch itself at him, and then he was staggering backwards from the force of the impact. Khushi snuggled into him, giggling happily. He took a moment to breathe her in.

Anger slowly replaced his worry.

"Khushi, where the hell were you? Why don't you have your phone? Do you know how long I've been looking for you?"

"Arnav-ji," she mumbled, "my Arnav-ji. No one else's. Mine."

"Are you even listening to me? I want to know where you were."

Arnav tried to pull away, but she only held him tighter, repeating his name.

"Khushi?" worry seeped back into his voice, "Talk to me, Khushi, what happened?"

He gently detached Khushi's arms and stepped back to look at her. Her eyes were wide, pupils dilated, and she had trouble focusing on him. She'd had bhaang.

"Khushi, you said you wouldn't have any bhaang this year," he reminded her.

She blinked – two long, slow blinks – and then shook her head.

"N-noooooo," her mouth formed a perfect O, "I didn't have any bhaang. Khushiii Kumaaari G-Gupta Singh Raizadaaa doesn't have bhaang."

"And yet," he fought a smile, "here you are. Under the influence."

"Aaammm Noooot."

Khushi staggered for no apparent reason and Arnav's hands tightened on her arms.

"Who gave you the bhaang?"

"Akaddu Singh La-Laad Governor," she said, gazing at him in adoration.

"Focus, Khushi. Who gave you the bhaang?"

"No one. Di gave me thandai. Two glasses," Khushi held up four fingers, "No wait. Three." Now she held up five.

Smiling, Arnav took her hand and kissed each finger in turn, "I can't believe you fell for the same trick again."

"No!" she jerked her hand away, "My fingers will disappear!"

"Your fingers ... what?"

"When you kiss me I feel like I'm going to disappear," she explained, holding her hand two inches from her face and inspecting it, "Good. All my fingers are still there."

"What am I going to do with you, you crazy girl? Come here."

Arnav slid her arm around his neck and scooped her up, cradling her against his chest. She clasped her hands behind his neck and rested her head on his shoulder.