Teri Khair Mangdi

Author's Note: This piece is inspired by 'Teri Khair Mangdi' from the Baar Baar Dekho soundtrack. You should listen to it while reading :)

*****************************

Khushi

"Didi, the Shaitaan," the child trembled in front of her, "the Shaitaan said that he would eat me."

"What?!"

"W-well, you see ... the plants give him power, so we took them away from him. He has to ... has to eat Harpreet if he wants them back."

Khushi fought a smile.

"B-but then he said he was hun-hungry," Nikhil sobbed, "and that he wants to eat me instead."

Laad Governor.

Fondness surged within her. Khushi bit her lip as she knelt to console Nikhil, who was now messily mopping up his tears.

"I'll go and set him straight," she said firmly, "No one is eating anyone."

She wiped his face with her dupatta before turning to the other children she was tutoring.

"Pinky, you're in charge. Finish telling Sundari's story while I deal with the Shaitaan."

"No!" the children hugged her in unison.

"He'll eat you too!" Nikhil fretted, "He's still hungry."

A giggle escaped her before she could stop it. "I'll be fine, beta."

Khushi ventured out into the corridor after leaving strict instructions for the children to stay in the guest bedroom. A sharp memory of a broken model and a moustache drawn on a photo frame surfaced. Another short giggle bubbled out of her, but it soon morphed into a sob of longing.

So much has changed. And yet ... nothing at all.

She found Arnav-ji pacing the poolside restlessly, muttering under his breath. He froze when he saw her.

"Khushi, those bloody kids ..." he snarled.

"They're children Arnav-ji, they don't know any better."

He glared, "They're not innocent."

"Did you really threaten to eat Nikhil?"

"I'm only living up to the name you've given me. Shaitaan."

Her heart thudded almost painfully as she watched his mouth twist in anger.

And Rajkumar.

"Where the hell are my plants?" Arnav-ji asked, looking around again in frustration, "If I find that you had anything to do this, Khushi, I swear—"

"—I didn't do anything," she objected, "I've come to help you look."

He glanced sidelong at her, disbelieving. "Why?"

You love those plants. And I love ...

"I have to get back to the children, Arnav-ji," Khushi took a shaky breath, "Do you want my help or not?"

Her husband bit his lip as he considered her. She tried to ignore the tremble that rose in her body at his intent perusal.

"Where should we start?" he asked finally.

"They're children," she said reasonably, "they can't have carried so many plants too far."

Arnav-ji turned to the stairs leading to the terrace, "Up there?"