Khushi's Engagement: Part 3

Shyam-ji looked from Bua-ji to Khushi and Arnav-ji, the blood draining from his face as he took in the sight of them, arms still wrapped around each other. Guilt soured her stomach. It wasn't his fault that she couldn't marry him. Shyam-ji had only tried to do what Babu-ji and Bua-ji had asked of him.

Unwilling to confront Shyam-ji's shock-filled eyes, Khushi turned her face into Arnav-ji's chest and registered the rapid beat of his heart. His hands clenched into fists and his breath came rapidly.

What ...

"Jija-ji?" he exclaimed.

Does Arnav-ji know Shyam-ji from somewhere? But why is he calling him Jija-ji? Shyam-ji isn't married.

Khushi turned to watch Shyam-ji run a hand over his face as the blood drained from it. His mouth opened and closed, as if speech was failing him. Arnav-ji gently moved her to the side and stepped forward.

"Jija-ji?" he repeated, "What are you ... what are you doing here? Di said you were in Chandigarh."

Di? Anjali-ji?

The blood in Khushi's veins cooled as she recalled Anjali-ji proudly telling her that her husband's name was Shyam.

"Aaahhh," Shyam-ji frowned, "Aaah, well, I ... I oversee Bua-ji's pension case and dr-dropped by just to ... to check ..."

Bua-ji turned to him in shock, "What are you saying, babua?"

Khushi's breath came rapidly as the enormity of the situation sank in. Shyam-ji was Arnav-ji's Jija-ji. Anjali-ji's husband.

And he ... and he was ... he'd been about to ... we almost ...

"Yes, yes," Shyam-ji continued, "Khushi-ji asked me to look into her Bua-ji's pension case for her."

When Arnav-ji turned to her, his expression tortured and accusing, Khushi shook her head.

"Shyam-ji is our Paying Guest, and Khushi's fiancé," Bua-ji explained to the room, "He's been living with us for weeks."

"N-n-no," Shyam-ji paled further, taking a few steps backwards as his eyes frantically searched for path to escape.

"What's wrong, babua?" Amma asked Shyam-ji, "Do you need to lie down?"

Arnav-ji pulled out his phone.

"Di? Call Jija-ji, call him right now. I'll explain later, just call him this instant."

Bua-ji and Amma looked around in confusion as Jiji ran to Khushi.

"Khushi," she whispered, "What's Arnav-ji implying?"

But Khushi could only shake her head as Shyam-ji's phone started ringing. Bua-ji recovered from the shock first, snatching the phone from his limp fingers to look at the screen.

"Rani ... Sahi ... Sahiba," she read out before answering it, "Hallo? ... Hallo? Anjali-bityaa, is that ... is that you?"

Arnav-ji strode over to Bua-ji and relieved her of the phone. He put it on speakerphone so everyone could hear.

"Di?"

"Chhote? Where's your Jija-ji? Why is Khushi-ji's Bua-ji with you? Are you in Laxmi-Nagar? Is everything alright?"

"Di, give the phone to Aakash please."

"But Chhote, what—"

"Di. Aakash. Now."

As they waited for Aakash-ji to come to the phone, Khushi watched Shyam-ji take a few steps to his right.

"Bhai?" came Aakash-ji's voice.

"Aakash. Get Mohan to drive the whole family to Laxmi Nagar. Do you remember where Khushi's house is? And ask Mr Roy to meet us here."

"Yes, I remember where Pay- Khushi-ji lives. A lawyer, Bhai? Why does Khushi-ji need a lawyer?"

"This isn't the time for questions, Aakash. Do as I say. Now."

"Yes. Okay. See you in twenty minutes."

Arnav-ji turned to Shyam-ji as he cut the call.

"How dare you?" he shook with fury, "How dare you deceive my Di, how dare you take advantage of her kindness and her love. You're cheating on her."

"N-n-no," stuttered Shyam-ji, "You're misunderstanding Saale-Sahib. I would never be unfaithful to Rani Sahiba, no. Khushi-ji ... Khushi-ji keeps inviting me over here, using her Bua-ji's pension as an excuse. Her intentions aren't pure ..."

"Liar!" yelled Jiji, "How dare you stand there and lie to Arnav-ji, when we all know the truth. How you wormed yourself into our lives in Lucknow, how you became our Paying Guest and won over Bua-ji, how you agreed to marry Khushi despite being married."

"You said that you don't have any family in Delhi," Bua-ji cried, "You said that you have no one else. I left you alone with my nieces, thinking they were safe."

"No, no, Bua-ji ..."

"Don't call me Bua-ji! I'm ashamed to even look at you!"

Khushi startled as movement caught her eye. Amma swayed as she lost her balance. Khushi ran to her mother, Jiji beside her, and caught her as she fell.

Shyam-ji used the distraction to run to the open window of the living room, but Arnav-ji was quicker. He halted Shyam-ji's progress with one hand and slammed his head against the wall. Shyam-ji slumped, unconscious, as Bua-ji screamed. Arnav-ji left him crumpled against the wall and kneeled beside Khushi.

"Should I take her into the bedroom?" he asked softly, watching as Jiji tried to rouse Amma, "Should I call a doctor?"

"Yes," Khushi tried to control the tremors rushing through her, "Thank you."

"I'll take care of everything, I promise. I'll fix this."