Khushi's Engagement: Part 4

Hours later, they sat in the hospital corridor connecting the rooms that held her father and his sister.

Anjali-ji had weathered the shock of her husband's duplicity badly but was unable to refute the sight of his clothes in the wardrobe and the ring in his pocket. She'd fainted when Arnav-ji had ordered his lawyer to arrange for a divorce straight away. Khushi had shown him to her and Jiji's bed, where he'd gladly laid his sister and sat beside her as they waited for the doctor he'd called.

Jiji and Bua-ji had retreated to Amma's bedroom to watch over her as Khushi checked on her father. After feeding Babu-ji and helping with his medication, Khushi had busied herself by making tea for everyone. As she handed him his sugar-free tea, Arnav-ji had quietly asked her about Babu-ji's medication and her answer that Shyam-ji usually took care of it had concerned him.

When the doctor arrived, Arnav-ji had asked him to check both Anjali-ji and Babu-ji. Anjali-ji was fine, the doctor assured them all, only shaken up and mentally frail. She would need careful observation for the next forty-eight hours. Babu-ji, however, hadn't been receiving the correct medication. The doctor had recommended that he be kept under observation for signs of any damage Shyam-ji might have caused. Their families stood watch over the two of them, crowding the rooms as they hovered anxiously.

Arnav-ji reached over to take her hand. Khushi ignored the quickening of her pulse and slid her hand out of his.

"You don't have to pretend anymore," she muttered, "Lavanya-ji won't like it."

Khushi frowned as she realised that Lavanya-ji hadn't come to the house with his family. Or to the hospital.

"Where is Lavanya-ji?" she asked.

"Lavanya ..." Arnav-ji sighed, "Lavanya left."

"What? Why?"

"After I left you at the temple, I talked to her. I explained that I couldn't marry her and we realised there was no future for us. She left."

"She loves you," Khushi's heart broke for her friend, "How could you treat her like that? Why did you tell her that you couldn't marry her?"

"Because I can't, Khushi. I can't marry her, not when I can't offer her everything she needs in a husband. She'd be miserable with me."

"But you ... you brought her into your home. She learnt so much, changed so much, just for you."

"I know ..." Arnav-ji sounded weary, "I don't want her, Khushi ... I can't spend my life someone I can't love."

"What are you saying?"

"You know what I'm saying."

Khushi's heart shied away from the implied meaning in his words. They sat in silence for a few minutes. She slid the ring off her finger and held it out to him.

"Thank you for lying to Bua-ji and Amma. I don't need this anymore."

He looked at the ring but made no move to take it.

"Marry me."

"Wh-what?"

"Marry me, Khushi," Arnav-ji looked at her intently, "That's why I came to your house. I wanted to tell you ... I want to marry you."

"N-n-no."

"Why not?"

"I can't ..."

Say yes. Say yes. Khushi, you were praying for this earlier.

But she couldn't betray Lavanya-ji. She couldn't.

Arnav-ji sighed and slumped in his chair, closing his eyes as he tilted his head back.