Chapter 11

Heads up, I have final exams just around the corner so I won't be posting for a little bit :( Maybe until Christmas?? It won't be soooo bad, suspense makes it all the better...right? :P

Hidden Memento
POV Lady Shima

I put down my ink pen and stare at the endless list of documents lying at the corner of my desk. I slouch down tired, resting my head onto my forearm. I need a break. I wonder if I should go poke fun at those two girls.... however, they do seem to be in a quarrel of some sort.

I'm surprised to have taken a liking to Rina. Her rambunctious ways gives a little energy to this redundant routine of mine. Work, fight, work, fight. Seriously, I'm getting old! I sigh at my missed youth. That makes me... mid-forty? Oh goodness, where has the time gone?

I look around and my eyes focus on the traditional robes of my older sister, which I have left folded on a shelf. I walk over and run my hands on the silky fabric. Natsuri.... this is the only thing I have left of her. The rest were destroyed in the fire twenty years ago.

I need a distraction so I decide to wear my sister's clothing. I let my own robes fall to the floor to put the other on. I tie the waist and admire the feel of the robe on my skin. However, I feel something protruding a little from the inner right. That's odd... I reach down inside the garment and pull out a tiny book. Oh my! I stare in astonishment at the new finding. It's sister's diary!

I sit down at my desk with the diary placed tauntingly in front of me. I debate whether to respect the privacy of my deceased sister or to satisfy my curiosity.

Curiosity it is. Forgive me sis! I open the cover and prepare for a night of reading.

Sword's Play
POV Rina

I see her unshieth her katana and take a stance. All I can do is stare in shock.

"Draw your sword, Orthion!" she says.

"Why are you doing this, Yuuna?" I ask slightly frantic.

"Because...this is the reason why you're here. To finish our fight, that was the whole purpose!" she replies angrily.

"If I win?" I say just loud enough to hear.

"Then you have my permission to go free. And tell Lady Shima to have me buried beside my father," she says.

I grow heavy at the thought of her dying. I don't want this! I refuse to unsheath the katana she has given me.

"Draw your sword! I will attack!" she says with forced determination.

I just stand there defeated. "I cannot bring myself to harm you, Yuuna." I look at her with sad eyes, convincing myself that she will not take my life. She constantly denies it, but I know she has some feelings towards me... even if it's faint, there has to be something!

"You leave me no choice!" she says and begins to run at me with her katana. I desperately pray that I'm right.

POV Yuuna

I see her unmoving and unwilling to defend herself. How can she simply throw her life away?! We are sworn enemies, not anything more! Despite all this, I can't help but feel overwhelming doubt with my actions.

I refuse to show weakness to her, I must follow on my words and finish this!

I rush at her with my katana. Please, Rina, draw your sword. Defend yourself!!

I swing my sword for the her throat and see her waiting for the strike with her eyes shut and fists clenched.

I stop myself an inch from the side of her neck. I just can't bring myself to actually do it. It's as if my mind and body are in conflict.

POV Rina

I open my eyes to see her katana just a inch from its mark. I look at her, so relieved that she may harbour the same feelings towards me although she may not realize it. I will find out one way or the other.

"Yuuna...." I say her name sincerely as I take a step closer.

"St...stay back!" she screams, her hands shaking.

If she wanted to kill me, she would have done so. Thus, I continue taking slow steps forward, ignoring the blade touching my throat.

POV Yuuna

She continues to advance despite my katana pressing to her skin, forming a little blood. I retreat my sword to my right, preventing the cut on her neck from deepening.

"Don't come any closer...." I say a little shaken and scared. She was frightening me, more than any battles I have fought. The feelings she's awakened in me we're overwhelming and I couldn't make sense of them.

She grabs my wrist, of my wielding hand, and pulls me to her. I feel my body jerk forward until our bodies slightly touch. I look up at her unrelenting eyes. "Stop..." I whisper hazily, knowing her next move but my body felt so weak to resist. She uses her other hand to grab the nape of my neck and pulls me into a kiss.

She is aggressive this time, I can feel her heat encompassing me as her lips move hungrily. My body continued to disobeys my pleas to push her away and I feel the energy drain from me as I no longer try to struggle. My eyes close and I hear my katana clunck to the ground. I allow myself to be swallowed by this unfamiliar warmth.

She senses this, and slows her kiss to a more passionate one. I can't prevent a quiet moan from escaping my mouth as I fail to keep up with her. I feel her finally break from the long contact and tug at my bottom lip before letting me go.

I back away from her unsteadily, my mind so light headed. I have so many emotions whirling and clashing within me.

She looks at me with a satisfying and stern expression.

"Yuuna, I want you."

I shake my head in disapproval. "No, this cannot happen," I say weakly.

"Tell me you don't feel anything for me. Tell me I'm wrong!" Her voice grows annoyed.

She moves closer with conviction. "Tell me otherwise and I'll leave you alone."

Everything is so out of control.

"I...don't want you." Is the only thing I can possibly muster.

She looks at me cold and turns to walk back into the dojo.

I feel so pained watching her leave for reasons I cannot fathom. I don't feel the relief I should letting her go nor saying those words. I fall to my knees in utter defeat and confusion.