Chapter 17

Let the Bells of War Toll

POV Rina

A sudden frantic knock came from the dojo door.  I wanted to ignore it and continue sleeping peacefully with my arms wrapped around my beloved.  Unfortunately, Yuuna jolts up from our embrace, leaving my torso a little cold from the absence of her warm body.

"Ughh..." I mumble a complaint.

"Miss Yuuna! Are you here?!  We are in a dire situation!" the soldier said from beyond the doors of the dojo.

I suddenly got up as well after noticing the urgency of the soldier's words. 

"Yes, I am here." Yuuna replied with new assertiveness, possessing her aura of leadership like on the battlefield. 

She waited until I was also fully dressed and alert before opening the door for the soldier.  It was still dark out... we probably were only asleep for three hours....

"Please come with me to Lady Shima, I will update you along the way," the soldier motioned us to follow wasting no time.

Yuuna and I followed the soldier to Lady Shima's quarters.  He said that a messenger from the neighbouring village came early in the night and declared that they've been attacked by an Orthion army.  At these words, everything about the war....Sarah, Michelle, Master Law... flood my thoughts and shatter the ignorant bliss of my last few weeks in Hiratana.  I clench my fists with frustration at the whole stupidity of war.

When we reached Lady Shima's compound, I could see hundreds of Hiratana soldiers already mounting on their horses. 

"Lady Shima!!" Yuuna called out to her precious leader.

Demon Lady truly did look.... intimidating.  She was in her battle robes, which were practical and magnificent at the same time.  Her robes seemed to be made of hard armour around her torso, while her arms and legs were free to move.  It was protection that didn't compromise speed.  I need one of those I thought.

"Yuuna, I'm glad I could see you before I left.  It seems that one of Orthion's leaders has attacked Enuki village.  If it's Orthion Law, then I must go settle things with him," she said in a vengeful tone. 

I gulped.  I knew Master Law was horrendous but I don't know if I would ever mess with Demon Lady. 

"I shall accompany you." Yuuna declared.

"No.  I need you to stay here.  I need you to be the temporary leader for Hanabi village in my absence."

"...But!" Yuuna tried to plead.

 "A leader need not always have sword in hand to be doing their duty. Don't worry my child, I will report back soon."  Demon Lady sincerely stroke Yuuna's cheek and silenced any further discussion on the matter.

I could tell that they shared a strong mother- daughter bond, something that I had taken away from me, at a young age.  It gave me mixed emotions.... loneliness and envy but I also saw its beauty.

Demon Lady suddenly looked to me and walked closer.

"Take care of Yuuna." She said barely audibly, so no one else could hear.

"Of course.  I'm more worried about you." I replied in my usual jestful manner.

I could hear her supress a laugh.  She gave me a nod of acknowledgement and thanks before mounting on her horse.

I looked to Yuuna and saw her eyes linger on Lady Shima and the army as they left Hanabi's walls.  Within minutes, the sounds of gallops faded away and only silence seemed to remain within the compound.  I took Yuuna's hand in mine, which seemed to successfully detach her from her lingering gaze.