Part VII

PART VII

"Do I hear another beautiful composition from my most favorite young artist in the world?"

Jaimee's fingers came into a halt, and so did the beautiful melody that came from within her piano. Sighing, she shifted her blank, indifferent gaze from the black and white keys in front of her to the sound where the voice came from.

She saw her father standing by her door with a small smile on his handsome, rugged face. He looks tired and a few years older than he usually looks.

"Have you been standing there for long, father?"

Vincent Vonn Reed shook his head.

"Not enough to truly hear another one of your masterpieces," He smiled tenderly at his daughter. "Julliard is ready for you. And very soon enough, the whole world."

The older Reed casually walked towards his daughter and motioned the small space on the chair she was sitting on.

"May I?"

Jaimee shook her head lightly and gave the man some space. The father and daughter now sat silently beside each other. After a while, Vincent spoke, "Don't you think that it's a little... melancholic though? Even for you."

Jaimee sighed deep and willed thoughts of a certain young woman away from her mind.

"I have always been a dramatic player father," she smiled slightly, not looking at his face.

The older Reed's forehead creased as he observed his own daughter. There is something off about his daughter, but he can't quite figure it out. Being a man of business, you would say that he has a way with words. But right at that moment, he knew nothing. So, he did the best he could.

"Play with me?" He asked as he put his fingers on the keys and gently tapped some.

Jaimee looked at her father, surprised. They haven't played the piano together since she was 11. Curiously, she started to press the first few notes of the only song they played together. It didn't take long for her father to catch up with her and join along.

Finally smiling, she followed her father's lead and soon, they were creating yet another beautiful melody.

Her father also used to be an accomplished musician, but later on, chose business over his true passion. Even now, through his tired, resigned features, she can see the passion brimming in his eyes most similar to her own.

Jaimee thought of it as sad and wondered if she'll make sacrifices of her own in the near future. But then, smiling bitterly, she recalled that she already has.

When she was younger, maybe two or three, she saw men bringing a piece of big furniture into their home. Her father told her it was a piano and she instantly fell in love with it. Seeing her interest in the instrument, her father became her very first piano teacher. Her mentor. It was the only way they bonded. And so music became even more important to her.

Vincent finished the solo part, smiling as his fingers danced through the keys and making the soft tones fade and then vanish in the air until all that was left was the memory and the chills he feels in his spine.

"You developed a new style. Sophisticated, elegant, unique. You have gotten better," Vincent said, smiling at his daughter proudly. "Much, much better than I was or will ever be. I'm proud of you."

Finally, Jaimee couldn't take it anymore. As she felt the first few tears springing from her face, she reached out and threw herself at her father.

Vincent smiled sadly and wrapped his princess in his arms. "There, there Jaimee. I'm here."