Part XIII

Six years. Six long years had passed since that fateful day. The first four years, not once did she ever receive a letter --or anything at all to assure her if Jaimee is even still alive. Lisa waited patiently; she did. She concentrated on doing well in school, warded off a few prospected romantic interests -- which surprised her, given her nerdy appearance -- and just graduated without much of a hitch. After the four-year mark of their promise, she went back home, worked at her dream medical company, waited anxiously day by day for Jaimee to come for her. But six years had passed. Jaimee should have finished school by now and they would've been married. Just how much longer can a girl hold on without being given constant assurance? The answer: not very long.

Jillian Summers is a brilliant woman that Lisa worked with on a research project. She spoke four different languages, had published three scientific journals, and won a James Jacobson award for her outstanding works on cellular biology; all at the age of 26. Lisa admired her in all aspects. They bonded on their favorite books and scientific discoveries, they worked hand in hand in developing the ultimate cure for cancer that was once Lisa's science project. Although they seldomly argue, it was usually because they were bored and decided that a friendly discussion is in order. Lisa can distinctively remember the heated debate about the best way to culture her little 'germs', as Jillian fondly called them. It resulted in Lisa losing the argument and pouting all throughout the day until Jillian kissed her pout away. It shocked her, of course but a week later they kissed again. A week more and they were dating. Now they're celebrating their anniversary. In all aspects, Jillian is perfect for her.

Keith likes Jillian for Lisa and hinted -- not only once, mind you, but several times -- that they should already elope. Lisa laughed it off, but Jillian had a strange smile on her face that night.

"Hello love," Jillian entered Lisa's house and pecked the smaller woman on the lips. "I brought those little germs you wanted. You want me to set them up on your lab?"

Lisa smiled warmly and hugged Jillian's warm body before pulling away. "Yes, please."

And, as the older woman went to Lisa's personal lab, Lisa's smile faded slightly and she sighed, wrapping her arms around her body tighter. Yes, Jillian is perfect for her in every way and she loves her with all her heart, but there's always a little part of her that will always belong to Jaimee. She still cares about her -- although the mere thought of Jaimee giving up on her and breaking her promise makes her heart ache. Some days, she swear she almost forgot Jaimee. But then, there are days like this one where she just misses her. And it boggles her. They never had a lot of memories together --they weren't even a proper couple -- in fact, she's been with Jillian longer than Jaimee. But what is this strange feeling inside her gut?

"You're in a funky mood again, aren't you?" Lisa heard Jillian say, plopping down next to her on the couch and wrapping her arms around her girlfriend. "You've been feeling this way more often. What's wrong?"

Funny. Lisa also wanted to ask that same question. What is wrong with her?

Lisa leaned back against Jillian's soft body, "I'm not sure."

Jillian lightly kissed the top of Lisa's head and rubbed the smaller woman's forearm. "Maybe you're--"

"I am not ill," Lisa interrupted softly, "Maybe it's just the weather."

"Hmmmm... It is getting colder. But hey, it'll be our first winter together," said Jillian, ever the optimistic one.

Lisa agreed, playing with the hem of Jillian's sweater. She looked up and her dark brown eyes met Jillian's hazel ones. Jillian has a pretty, baby face. She looks a lot younger than her age and is the cutest thing Lisa had ever seen. She doesn't have the typical model's physique. In fact, she's a tad bit on the plump side, towering over Lisa with just 2 inches. But her kind soul and sharp intellect captivated Lisa the most. And honestly, she can't imagine herself be with anyone else.