Through the Pain

Damien's POV

"Here. Open your mouth" I broke off a piece of peanut butter granola and placed it in Jillian's mouth. I wanted to give her better food, but all I could find in the car was a stick of black licorice and this granola bar. Her dark eyes were half lidded as she chewed. She was exhausted and hungry. We didn't know which needs came first, her hunger or her sleep?

There were other things that needed to be done, like a bath to get rid of all the dirt from her cheeks and legs...but she still looked strikingly beautiful while being a bit of a mess. I had pulled off my jacket and wrapped it around her small body so she would be warm and comfy, she was drowning in it because it was huge and her lack of nourishment made her frame that much more fragile. I knew for a fact that something was broken, just by the way she gently clutched her chest and squeaked when I moved a certain way.

I looked out the window for a moment to watch the trees and the road go by. We were still in the car and on our way home. It seemed like the longest trip ever. Jillian needed to go home, and we were only half way there. I turned my head and saw that she had fallen asleep in my arms. Her breaths were shallow and her mouth slightly open. Stone purred to see her like this, my nose was in her hair within seconds.

I smiled to myself, She needs a bath, but I still love her to pieces.

There was a large gash on the side of her face, blood oozed out of it every once in a while. Thankfully werewolves had a high tolerance to infection even when silver was in constant contact with their skin. I had cleaned up the cut with the first aid kit in the car. She had bruises on her neck from being choked, pink scars were on her ankles and wrists from silver burning away at her skin, among other marks she made no fuss over. She held her stomach so I knew that there were some internal wounds too, not just external. They must have kicked her or something.

My teeth clenched with contempt, I hated the thought of Jillian in pain. She was in pain right now! I could feel it! Although in sleep she could hardly feel the agony, but he body still ached and cried out in discomfort. "Alpha......" she groaned for me in her sleep. "I'm here, Damien is here. Don't worry...." I whispered in her ear while holding her just a hair tighter.

Josie looked back nervously, "Is she alright?" I noticed that her hazel green eyes were shimmering with tears. I looked back at Jillian, she had fallen back into her semi-deep sleep in my arms, "Yeah. What's wrong?" I ran my hand over my mate's hair to smooth it down. My sister stiffened in her seat and blinked a few times, "You make her call you Alpha?" She chuckled, "Don't you have enough people calling you that?"

Whatever was bothering Josie was not important right now if she didn't make a fuss about it, If something is upsetting you, you can tell me. I reminded her silently, "No, I tell her to call me by my name all the time. I don't know why she doesn't" I kissed Jillian's forehead tenderly.

★★★

When we got home the sun was beginning to set behind the mountains. The refreshing smell of family was enough to bring the slightest of smiles to my face. We went to my house, but Josie had called some of the she-wolves to help attend to Jillian. Upon exiting the car Christina, Lana, and a few others were crowding around us, checking if we were alright, "Did you leave some of you for the other soldiers?" I asked while Lana tried to inspect a scratch on my face "Yes, yes...bring her inside already!" Christina hurried me along, Jillian still sleeping soundly in my arms.

I brought her into the house carefully, I didn't want Jillian to wake up just yet, I had no idea when she slept last. The females followed at my heels like little dogs shepherding me into the downstairs bathroom where they had already drawn hot water for a bath and everything. "Put her down and get out." Christina ordered before I even step foot in the room, "Wh-" I began but Christina was no woman to argue with, "Put. Her. Down. Then. Leave."