Numb

Ice cold muddy water slowly seeps through my sweater, chilling me to the bone.
With a struggle, I reluctantly force myself to sit up. I have no strength left in my body and I can't feel anything anymore. Not the wind, nor the rain, or the frigid air. I'm completely numb.
I check myself out for wounds and see that my hands are scraped and there's a rip in my jeans at the knee, but I'm otherwise unhurt.
I sigh and slowly get to my feet before stumbling the last few steps towards the water.

If I stay out here, will I die?

They don't even need me at Nerv. I'm sure I can be replaced.
Asuka and my father hate me, Ayanami is indifferent, I'm sure Misato would love to have one less person in her apartment, and Kaworu will soon lose interest like everyone else does.
I won't be missed.
I can't picture my mother's face. I can't remember the sound of her voice or her laugh or anything else about her. It's frustrating, but there's nothing I can do. People die, memories fade, and life goes on. The same will be said for me.
I stare into the water, my reflection distorts from the wind and a shape begins to take form behind me. It's hard to see in the darkness, but a shimmer of silver grey catches in the moonlight. I squint, trying to get my eyes to focus.
Am I hallucinating? Maybe I'm finally losing my mind.