Chapter 7

The match went back into action a few minutes after Harry was brought back to safely perch on the bench. The athletics nurse made a temporary stability wrap around his knee, so the sight of Harry not being carried out on a stretcher and driving to the hospital calmed my nerves down some. He was still in pain so I was not settled worry-free. 

I had a hard time focusing on the match because my eyes would glance over to Harry, wondering how he was feeling and wondering what he was thinking. I knew that he hated not being able to be on the field playing. Guilt and anger must have been boiling inside of him because every peek I took over at him let me know that he wasn't even watching the match himself. Instead he was picking at his dirty fingers, all his focus was now directed to trying to mutilate his fingers. 

"Oh, come on boys!"

I flinched when I heard Coach shout at the team. He, too, was quite upset that his star player was now injured and unable to continue playing. Hopefully, Harry would recover from this soon.

My eyes shifted back to the field to see what he was fussing about. I guessed it was because of Louis losing the strong possession that we were having over the ball. For the type of person who has power over people the ball shouldn't have been a problem for him, for it's an emotionless existence, unlike myself. 

"Fuck, Louis." I heard Harry grumble, his watchful green eyes finally taking a chance on the team. 

The admiration from the captain didn't last long. Soon after the ball had switched in ownership, Louis was flagged for unsporting-like behavior. Unwilling to let the opposing player get the better of him, Louis decided to try and sneak a trip as if the officials weren't going to pay any attention to him. It wasn't like he was trying to trip me; he was going to be caught and punished for it accordingly. 

I didn't happen to pay any attention to one of my bully's forth-comings or the coach's obscene shouting because, from the corner of my eye, I noticed Harry's injured leg taking a swing off of the bench. His football cleat planted firmly onto the ground next to his other and his clenched fists dug into the bench, bony knuckles digging into the engraved steel.

"Styles, you sit your arse back down on that bench." The coach had turned and pointed to him.

Harry shook his head as he used all his strength just to stand up. He ended up stumbling right afterwards, faithfully catching his own self. "I don't want to see or hear this shit anymore." 

I looked over to the coach, both of us knew that Harry wasn't going to be able to make it all the way back to the change room on his own. He could even end up injuring his knee more than he already has. Neither of us were willing to risk that. So, I have no idea what came over me, maybe I grew a little bit of courage, when I stood up and said, "I'll take him."

Now, let's do a comparison here. It took the coach, Michael, and Liam to just help Harry over from the field to the bench. I, in no way, have the same muscular structure as any of the boys on the team and I had just offered to walk Harry all the way back to our change room inside of the school and with an incline of a hill. Harry might as well be injured and be carrying me back after I effortlessly collapsed down from walking him. 

He let out a frustrated sigh. "You better be careful with him." 

I slowly nodded, wishing that I had the same confidence I had only seconds ago. I glanced over to Harry, who was watching us and now waiting for his scraggly knight in sweatpants. My feet might as well have had anvils tied down to them but I knew that Harry didn't want to be around this anymore. 

Niall, you're gonna have to wrap your arm around Harry's waist. Do not act like it's a huge deal. 

I walked over to Harry and felt his weighted arm as he draped it around my shoulders, the warmth and sweat of his forearm sticking to the back of my neck. As he leaned himself onto me my own arm wrapped around his waist. At first, I did my best to try and stay as high onto his back as I possibly could, but as we started to walk I felt my hand glide down his back. I couldn't help but swallow when I felt a heated sensation completely wash over me. It grew as soon as Harry had to press his side against mine and my natural reaction was to hold onto his waist tighter with my hand.