Chapter 4- Love At First Sight

School was awful. I was avoiding Izzie and Nesta. I'd been really hurt last night. But I'd got the message. Izzie'd moved on and didn't want me around anymore.

I ignored them both in English though I could see Izzie was trying to catch my eye. I kept my head down and pretended I was fascinated by Shakespeare's sonnets. 

Mr Johnson was taking the class and I usually like his lessons. He's big and jolly with a red beard like a Viking. He chalked a load of stuff up on the board then said, 'Now, watch the blackboard while I go through it.'

Everyone cracked up and when he realised what he'd said, he started laughing as well. But not me. Me and Hamlet. We got things to think about. 'To be friends with Iz and Nesta or not to be? That is the question.'

After English, we had a special lesson with Mrs Allen all about third world countries and their need for help. Mrs Allen is our headmistress so everyone was on their best behaviour and really quiet. But it wasn't just because she was taking the class. It was depressing hearing about the hunger and wars in some areas.

We had to get into groups to discuss the lesson so I made sure I was in Mo Harrison and Candice Carter's group so I didn't have to speak to Izzie or Nesta. 

'I don't understand why people fight,' I said, feeling guilty that I was having my own conflict with Izzie, 'and over something stupid like land. I reckon it's like, if you look at the sky there aren't any fences or boundaries. It should be the same on the ground.'

'Yeah,' said Mo. 'Why can't we all just share everything?'

'Same sun, same air, same earth,' I said. 'It hardly makes sense that there's famine in the world when you see all the shops with food spilling out the doors. And people over here on diets all the time when on the other side of the world, other people haven't even got enough to eat.'

The lesson made me feel very sad. I mean, Mum's been going on about poor people and the starving for years. Like when one of us wouldn't eat dinner or something. But I never took much notice. Watching the slides Mrs Allen showed and seeing the real people was different. I could see it made us all think. I'd got all freaked out about not having a best friend anymore but in some places, some people have just lost their parents or kids.

I don't know what to do about Izzie and Nesta. It seems so petty to fall out, especially after today's lesson. I feel really confused now and don't know what to think.

Maybe I could go and be a volunteer in the third world when I grow up. But then what could I volunteer to do? My only special talent is making cheese omelettes so it's probably best I learn a skill first. But what?

                                 👙👙

At lunch-time, I was out of class before Nesta and Izzie could catch up and made my way to the library. I needed to think and decided I'd go and look through books about courses and careers and stuff and see if there was anything I fancied or might be good at.

It all seemed a bit daunting as I leafed through the pages; there's so much to choose from.

'Hey, Luce,' said Izzie, coming up behind where I was sitting at a desk. 'What're you doing in here? Me and Nesta have been looking everywhere for you.' 

I pointed at the books. 'Trying to decide on my brilliant career.'

I carried on reading as if she wasn't there but the silence felt uncomfortable and the words were swimming on the page in front of me.

'You've been very quiet lately, Luce. Is everything Ok?'

I felt as if I'd swallowed a wad of chewing gum and it had got stuck in my throat.