Chapter 7- Liar, Liar, Pants on fire

‘Let’s go over to Nesta’s this afternoon,’ said Izzie. ‘Her mum has loads of fab interior design magazines. I saw them in their living-room. We can browse through… Lucy, Lucy? Are you there?’

   ‘Yes, yes, I’m here,’ I said. ‘Sorry. I dropped the phone.’

   Ohmigod. Nesta’s. I know I’ve got to go some time, now that we seem to be officially a threesome. But Nesta’s? What if Tony’s there? Part of me is dying to see him again. Part of me is dreading it. What if Nesta and Izzie suss me out? I’m bound to go pink if he’s there and I never was much good at hiding anything from Iz. But then again, he might not be there. Either way, I can find out a bit more about him. Oh decisions, decisions, decisions.

   ‘Izzie?’ I said seriously.

   ‘Yes, Lucy?’ she said seriously then laughed.

   ‘Do you fancy Tony?’

   ‘God no. Not my type at all. Too pretty pretty boy. And he’s a bit too sure of himself, you know what I mean?’

   ‘Yeah,’ I sighed with relief.

   ‘Why, do you fancy him?’ she asked.

   ‘Course not,’ I lied. ‘Too pretty pretty boy.’
Liar, liar, pants on fire, said a voice in my head.

   ‘So, shall we go over to Nesta’s?’ Izzie asked again.

   ‘OK,’ I said. ‘I’ll come to your house later and we can go together.’ Eek. Er.

   The new brave me. If I plaster on a load of foundation, perhaps no one’ll notice if I blush.

👙👙

   Nesta’s flat is amazing. She lives on the ground floor of a detached Victorian property near Highgate. One of those places you hear estate agents describe as having character and original features. Lovely old cornicing in the hallway and stained-glass windows.

   ‘Are you OK, Lucy?’ Nesta asked, taking our coats. You’re looking a bit pale.’

   ‘Oh, I’m fine,’ I said, immediately reddening under my matt factor 16. ‘I like your flat.’

   ‘Wait until you see the rest of it,’ Nesta said proudly. ‘I’ll give you the tour.’

   You’ve already seen it, Izzie, so make yourself at home.’

She led us into a large room with French windows at the back. It looked warm and welcoming with deep red walls and curtains and plush brown velvet sofas. The overall look was a mix of Eastern and old, stylish and comfortable.

   Izzie helped herself to a pile of magazines by the fire-place and flopped down on a sofa while Nesta led me into a country style kitchen-diner at the side.

   ‘It's huge in here,’ I said, staring around. ‘You don't often find flats this big.’

   ‘I know,’ said Nesta. ‘Dad likes the big old rooms with high ceilings and houses that were out of his price range. He says we were lucky to find a flat like this with three bedrooms.’

   She led me out the kitchen, down the corridor and opened a door. ‘Mum and Dad's room.’

   I peeked in. ‘Are they here?’

   ‘No,’ said Nesta. ‘Dad's in America and Mum's on late shift.’

   ‘Nice,’ I said as looked at their bedroom. A big square room done in honey golds with soft muslin at the bay window overlooking the garden.