Chapter 11- Haircut from Hell

I’m going to get my hair cut,’ I told Izzie on the bus to school the next morning. ‘What do you think?’

   I showed her all the pics I’d cut out of a mag last night showing different styles.

   ‘Good idea,’ said Iz, pointing to one photo of a girl with cropped hair. ‘That would suit you. When are you going to get it done?’

   ‘Tonight,’ I said.

   ‘Wow, you move fast. Where?’

   ‘The mall. Remember Candice had her hair cut last month? She told me if you go to the Aura school, where hairdressers go to get trained, they do it for free. They’re always looking for volunteers to go along in the evenings.’

   ‘Great, me and Nesta will come as well. It’s late-night shopping so we can get your hair cut then we’ll have a mooch round. But what’s brought this on? You’ve had your hair long for years.’

   ‘Angel Card,’ I admitted.

   ‘An Angel Card told you to get your hair cut?’

   ‘They were waiting for me when I got back from Nesta’s last night. On the kitchen table. Waiting. Calling me. Luuuucy, pick one. I tried to resist but I couldn’t help myself. In fact, I’m going to have to ask Mum to take them out of the house. I think I’ve become an addict. No resistance no matter what I tell myself or what kind of trouble they get me into. I see the pack and I have to pick one.’

   Izzie laughed. ‘They could start a group for addicts. ACA. Angel Cards Anonymous.’

   ‘Yeah, I’d get up and say, “Hello. My name’s Lucy Lovering and I’m an Angel Card addict. Let me tell you my sad story.”’

   Izzie laughed again. ‘I’m a bit like that with the Net. Specially now I’ve found such a fab astrology site. So what did it say? The card last night?’

   ‘No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.’

   ‘Wow. That’s a good one,’ said Izzie. ‘I’ll have to try it when I tell Wacko that I sat on my egg baby. But why did that make you want to get your hair cut?’

    I wasn’t sure how much to tell Iz. I’d gone home from Nesta’s last night feeling like a complete failure. I didn’t want to bore her to death with the list of things that make me feel inferior lately:

◾Everyone knows what they want to be when they grow up but me.
◾My lack of kissing experience.
◾I only look twelve.
◾Josie Riley’s right. I am a midget.
◾I’m as flat-chested as my brothers.
◾I’ve never had a proper boyfriend. And now probably never will as the only one I like belongs to another.
◾I can’t even decide what colour to paint my bedroom. Inferior. Definitely.

    ‘Time for a change,’ I said. ‘Remember that horoscope you did for me that said it was time for a new me so don’t resist? I thought what better place to start than with my appearance? I’ve been so busy thinking about inside stuff like who I am, strengths, weaknesses, all that sort of thing Wacko told us to think about and it’s got me nowhere. So I’m going to change the outside. Hair. My room. My clothes.’

   ‘Watch out world,’ grinned Izzie. ‘Sounds good to me.’

👙👙

   After school we went straight to the mall. I sat in the hair-dressing college l reception with ten other volunteers. Girls behind an enormous glass desk registered everyone then told us to wait. It all looked very swanky. A vast marbled reception with the most enormous bouquet of white lilies in a vase. Everywhere were posters of Aura products and TVs up on the walls showing demonstrations. I’ve definitely come to the right place, I thought. I am going to look fantabuloso.