Chapter 9- Bor-ing Sunday

I got up the next day and went to check my incoming mail.

   Nothing. That’s strange. I know for a fact that Izzie always looks to see if she’s got any e-mails first thing in the morning. What’s going on?

   At eleven o’clock, I phoned Izzie’s house. No reply. Only Mrs Foster’s message on the machine: ‘I’m afraid we’re unable to take your call at present. Please call later.’

   I called Nesta.

   ‘Hi, is that little Lucy?’said Tony.

   Gulp. ‘Yes. No. Sorry. I mean yes but I’m not little,’ I said.

   He laughed at the other end, ‘OK. Lovely Lucy, then. You want Nesta?’

   ‘Yes, please.’

   ‘Not here. She went off somewhere with some guy from your school. Michael I think he was called.’

   ‘Was Izzie with them?’

   ‘Don’t think so. Shall I tell her you called?’

   ‘Please,’ I said. ‘Thank you.’

   ‘And, Lucy?’

   ‘Yes?’

   ‘I think small girls are cute,’ he said, then he hung up.

   When did I get so polite? Please. Thank you. Sorry. So much for my dazzling conversation. He must think I’m stupid. Why didn’t I think of something brilliant to say? He likes girls who are funny. I could have told him my Scottish joke.

   What’s the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?

   Bing sings but Walt disn’y.

   But he did call me lovely Lucy. And he thinks small girls are cute. Maybe there’s hope after all.

  Sundays. What to do? It’s such a boring day. And it’s raining.

   I had a quick look at my homework. My project for Miss Watkins stared back at me from my desk.

   What makes me ‘me’?

   What are my interests? Nesta’s brother, Tony.

   What do I want? To snog Tony.

   What are my goals in life? To snog Tony.

  What am I? Shallow I suppose, since those are my main goals. Probably not ones that will impress Miss Watkins or Mrs Allen either.

OK. Snog Tony and bring about world peace. That sounds better.

  What would I like to do as a career? Still
dunno.

Never mind, we’ve got a week or so left yet. I’ll think about it later.

I went downstairs and flopped on the sofa in front of the telly. Steve and Lal were squabbling over the channel changer. Steve wanted to watch a DVD of The Matrix and Lal wanted to watch another repeat of Star Trek.

I couldn’t be bothered to join in and stake my claim. There was nothing on I wanted to watch anyway. Where was Izzie? I hope she hadn’t gone off doing something with Nesta without me again.

   ‘What can I do?’ I asked, going into the kitchen where Mum was busy preparing some sort of weird nutloaf thing for lunch.

   ‘Homework?’ said Mum.

   ‘Done it,’ I lied.

   ‘Tidy your bedroom?’

   ‘Boring . . . I’ve got nothing to do . . .’

   ‘Well I don’t know,’ she said. ‘Just don’t mope about under my feet. Anyway, I thought you were going to make some clothes. Why not make a start?’