Chapter 10- First Kiss

Monday morning I overslept. I'd been up so late chopping up fab fabrics for future use, I was late for school and didn't get a chance to see Izzie or Nesta before lessons. I was feeling a bit wary of them both after Sunday.

     Izzie gave me a little wave as I scrambled into my place in class then in came Miss Watkins with a large shopping bag.

     'I have a little homework for you all,'she smiled mysteriously as she took what looked like three dozen eggs out of her bag. I could tell by her face it was going to be one of her mad ideas.

     'Now then, Candice,' she said. 'I want you to hand out the eggs. One to each girl.'

     Candice did as she was told as we all looked at each other, mystified.

     'I've been thinking about your career prospects,' Miss Watkins said as she perched in her usual position on the desk corner. 'There's one choice that none of you mentioned. It's full-time. It's demanding as well as rewarding. It means total, and I mean total, commitment. It's days, nights and weekends. And sometimes no time off. Can any of you guess what I'm talking about?'

     She looked around hopefully.

     ‘Doctor,’ said Tracy Ford. ‘They're on call day and night sometimes.’

     ‘OK, good,’ said Miss Watkins. ‘But they get holidays. No holidays with this.’

    'God,' said Candice.

     Miss Watkins laughed. 'Not a job available to  most of us,' she said. 'Any other suggestions?'

     No one had a better idea.

     'I'm talking about being a mother,' she said. 'And it's something you should all think about carefully.'

     Blimey, I thought. I'm only fourteen. Give me a break. I haven't even got a boyfriend yet.

     Everyone always says it won't happen to me but it only takes one time,' Miss Watkins continued as half the class went scarlet and the other half went giggly, 'and it can change your life for ever. I know you've all had classes about contraception but this little exercise I want you to do will help you realise the responsibility you're undertaking if you don't use it.'

     My mind was boggling. Contraception? One night that can change your life for ever? Responsibility? What is she going to make us do with the eggs? I thought we were trying to decide our GCSE subjects.

     'I want each of you to take the egg home,' she continued as Candice placed one in front of each of us. 'That's your baby for the week. I want you to bring it back next week in one piece, not broken.'

      Easy, I thought. I'll put it in the fridge.

      'I want you to take it everywhere with you,' said Wacko. 'To the shops. To your friends' houses. To the bathroom.'

     What? Mad, she's completely mad. hadn't finished.

     'And while we're at it, there's some leaflets on all the types of birth control available. I want you to pick one up from my desk at the end of the class so you can read through it at home. Any questions, ask your parents, or please come to me whenever you like.'

Does she think we're sex mad in this class?Clearly the answer is yes.

👙👙

Nesta, Izzie and I met up after school. With our egg babies. And our leaflets. We read them on the bus to Nesta's house.

     'It's weird, isn't it?' said Izzie. 'One minute everyone's telling you not to grow up,' she put on her snotty cow accent, 'to enjoy our youth. Next minute, it's all grow up, decide what you want to be and think about babies.'