Chapter Five: America

I reread the letter a hundred times before actually comprehending it.

America Singer, Five
Carolina

Greetings!

The Kingdom of Illéa would be honored to have you as a musician at our Selection-themed party. Your tasks would be to play one of your instruments (it doesn't matter which one) and sing for the party as entertainment.

You would be provided with your own bedroom as well as food for the week. In this envelope, a plane ticket for one is provided, along with an invitation to the party. The party will be held one week from today.

We hope you will accept our request in exchange for $5,000 to your family.

Send this letter back to the return address on the envelope and check next to your response:

Yes:            No:

Yours truly,
Prince Maxon Schreave
Kingdom of Illéa

What?

I reread it one last time, just to be sure that this wasn't a prank. It wasn't. It was signed by Prince Maxon. But how?

The castle wanted me... me.

Why? Prince Maxon probably had his own professional musicians. Why would he want a Five?

But more importantly: Did I want this?

Thousands of questions raced in my mind, giving me a huge headache. I plopped down on the couch and rubbed my head, staring at the letter in disbelief.

I didn't show anyone the invitation until I met with Aspen that night in the treehouse. He noticed my worried and confused face.

"Mer? What's the matter?"

I showed him the letter. As he read it, his face displayed a mix of emotions. Surprised, confused, and excited.

"Mer! This is great!" Aspen hugged me, and kissed me on the cheek. When he let go, he said, "America, why are you upset?"

I shook my head. "I'm not upset. I'm confused. Why would they want me?"

"Because you're fantastic at music. Why else?"

"It's just - weird. I don't know if I'm gonna do it," I confessed.

Aspen's mouth dropped. "And give up $5,000? This is your career, Mer. They want you."

"But, go to the castle for a week? Leave my family? Leave you?"

"How could you possibly think about me? It's a week, Mer. I can handle a week without you. This is a phenomenal opportunity for your career. Think about you, for a change. Not me, not your family. You."

"Maybe, but, I'd be all alone. It's not like the prince or anyone will socialize with me. It's simply a job."

"How could you give up the chance of $5,000?" Aspen argued.

I began to yell. "Aspen! Sometimes, you know, it's not about the money, okay? I'd be scared and alone at the castle! I'm worried and confused and so much is going on right now. First I didn't get Selected, and now this-"

Oh no.

I held my breath.

Did I really just say that?

"Mer, you wanted to get Selected? What do you mean?" His piercing green eyes stared into mine.

I took a deep breath, regretting what I was just about to say. "No. Well, I don't know. After we watched the Report, I had gotten really annoyed with May. She said that I was angry that I didn't get Selected, which at first, wasn't true. But then I thought about it, and I felt kind of... Left out. Like there was all of this excitement in my house, and it added up to nothing."

Aspen stared right through me. Emptiness lurked his eyes.

"Mer, I don't know what to say."

I sighed. "You don't need to say anything. I'm just facing what every other teenage girl in Illéa is. Trust me."

He still didn't look okay, but he changed the subject anyway. "I think you should go to the castle."

Aspen had a magical way of convincing me to do things. First the Selection, and now this. I couldn't be mad at him. I loved him too much to be annoyed at him for nagging. "I'll go."

He breathed a sigh of relief. "Good."

Our time together had almost come to an end. Before we both parted, his lips met mine.

Even though I was going to be gone for a week, I was going to miss Aspen so, so much. I only got to see him for an hour on most days, which was a sad characteristic for our relationship.

Aspen had the most wonderful kisses, that made me want to be with him for my whole life. "I love you," I said.

"I love you too," Aspen said.

And I meant it.

When I got inside, I took the letter of my pocket and unfolded it. I reread for the thousandth time, and then reluctantly checked yes.

Author's note: The next chapter will be in Celeste's POV! Be prepared!