Chapter Seven: America

Of course I had to meet Prince Maxon when he was about to confess his undying love for someone.

"America Singer!" Maxon exclaimed, half-disappointed for not finishing talking to the girl, and half-excited to meet me.

I beamed. "Yup," I said. Yup? I said that to a prince?

He held out his hand. I shook it. "It's such a pleasure to meet you," he said. "Thank you for dedicating your time to be our musician."

"No problem," I said. "I'm honored, really." I didn't look at the prince in his eyes, his sparkling, deep brown eyes. I'd get lost in them...

No I wouldn't.

Maxon turned around to Celeste, who smirked at me. "Yes, thank you for doing this," she said, her voice strict and dark.

Wait a second.

This Celeste character, she was the one who I had seen while watching the Report. Her ugly outfit had corresponded with her ugly personality, apparently.

"You're welcome. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," I said, quoting Aspen.

Celeste murmured something that I didn't hear.

Prince Maxon changed the subject. "Let me escort you to your room. Please."

I nodded. "Okay, that sounds great." I stupidly smiled and followed him down the hallway.

We had to go up three staircases, go through seven hallways, and pass the prince's own bedroom just to get to mine. The castle was so magical. There were hundreds and hundreds of doors, leading to who knows what! The ceilings were super high, and the walls in each hallway were painted a different color of the rainbow. Chandeliers hung from the ceilings, with dozens of candles lighting up the halls. I was amazed. Everything was - perfect.

"Here you are," Prince Maxon said, opening my door.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

The first thing that caught my eyes was the bed. It's size was the equivalent to two king sized beds! Across from the bed was a white dresser, with probably a dozen drawers and cabinets. Next to the dresser was a circular table, accompanied with a chair.

"What's that for?" I asked, pointing to the table.

"Oh, that's where you'll eat meals," the prince explained. He then pointed to a shelf, with a music stand nearby. "That's where you can practice. We have lots of music selections that you can choose from on the shelf, and three spare violins, in case..."

Who would need three spare violins? "Why?"

Prince Maxon laughed. "I'm not really sure. Here at the castle, we like to be extra protective."

"So if you burn your original violin, throw the other one off a cliff, and then feed the last one to a shark, then you've got one more violin...just in case," I joked. What a stupid joke. Why, America, why? Whywhywhywhy?

Thankfully, Prince Maxon chuckled. "That's hilarious. You're-you're a funny girl."

Ignoring his compliment, I began to speak. "So where is the-"

I turned my head to see a glass door, leading to a balcony. Being lured by the beauty of it, I strolled over and opened the doors to see a breathtaking view.

"Your Majesty, this is... this view is just... I'm speechless!"

I overlooked the balcony to see an endless field of flowers. Daisies, lilies, roses, poppies... I could go on and on. Each flower was perfectly placed to create a big rainbow. Small, tiny pathways were interconnected in the garden, where someone could peacefully take a walk.

"We like to think that the musician should always get the most...inspirational view. I mean, how else are they supposed to find creativity within the palace? Stare at the walls all day?" Prince Maxon laughed at this joke, but I found it serious. With walls like these, heck yeah!

I took a deep breath. "Well, I'm going to get myself unpacked. But thanks for everything, Your Majesty."

Prince Maxon nodded. "Your maids will provide you with a schedule of what to do this week. Oh, and I hate being referred to as 'Your Majesty'. You can call me Maxon."

"Okay, I will. Thanks." Maids??? Maids!?!?!

Maxon left the room. I ran over and plopped on the ginormous bed.

I was so happy to be here. Even though I'd have a week, this seemed like enough. But maids? I didn't need them. I didn't need this view. Or the $5,000. Or any of this royalty.
All I needed was my violin, some music, and I'd be ready to go.

But all of this was incredible, so I'm not complaining.

That night, I ate dinner in my room and took a bath in a hot tub-sized bathtub, with lovely scented soaps and shampoo. I practiced my violin for a bit, and before I went to bed, someone slipped a letter under my door.

It was from home.

And when I read it, I began to cry.