Chapter Ten

WARNING -- Very strong language.

A/N -- Prepare yourself. That is all.

A dull, vacant expression --eyes that were sagging and half open and a face that drew out barely a semblance of coherence... that's what General Zayn was staring at from across the tavern table. Renna Gwenneth looked years older than she was now with her lackluster gaze and withered, sallow cheeks. All fires Iris's aunt once might have had within her were snuffed out like a candle. Even still, Zayn ordered her breakfast, trying to keep things civil and peaceable.

"Renna, you need to get help," he told her, breaking the silence of the meal. "You're going to kill yourself doing this. Do you hear me, Renna?" Her eyes had drifted away from his face in the middle of his sentence. Zayn steeled himself. "You are going to die like this."

An abrupt, almost shrill, laugh left Renna's throat. "I am already dead, boy. I don't... I don't need..." she slurred. She spoke again in a hiss. "Don't presume to tell me what I need, boy. Go away and leave this dead woman in peace." The words fell off in volume at the end, and Renna's consciousness wavered considerably. Slowly, she moved downward toward the surface of their table.

"I will not," he said, pinching his nose and trying to keep his voice low. "Renna, I'm not giving up on you because you're not dead yet." Now, he lifted her off the table where she was now lying flat. The woman was lighter than expected... she had definitely lost weight, a lot more than was healthy for her.

She looked into his eyes and laughed hard, as if in mockery of his words. A blast of booze hit his face like a fermented cloud. "Of course... of course I am."

"No," Zayn snapped, waving the sour air from his nose. "No, you're not. Elliot Gwenneth is dead. Not you."

The words seemed to bring the woman back a bit, because it looked as if he'd slapped her in the face. Not the reaction that was expected, but at least it looked like she could see him now. Renna glared at the general now. "Don't you think I fucking know that? Don't you talk about my brother."

Zayn raised his brow. "Renna, listen to me. You're digging your grave beside him now. Do you really want that?"

A barmaid quickly delivered their food, not bothering to interrupt them.

"Yes!" she yelled, drawing a few gazes to their table. "What the hell else do I have to live for?" Her voice went soft as she lamented. "Everyone I love disappears. My brother died, Irila died, she was my best friend," Renna hiccupped now, tears shining in her eyes. "And the child... oh, the child... the girl is gone. My beautiful niece is gone. Elliot's daughter is gone now. Forever."

Zayn sighed. "Iris is fine. She's going to be back in a few months. You haven't lost her. You still have Iris, Renna."

Bitterness stole the sobs from the woman. "Not Iris, you fool. The other one," she snapped, and then she tittered back to crying. "That poor girl. Taken from us. Too soon. Too soon. Away... far, far away. Curse the bastard who took her!" Zayn now was entirely confused. Renna had lost her damn mind, that was for sure.

"What are you on about? Iris is an only child, Renna. You're drunk. You need to go home."

"The other child," she whispered before she promptly fell face first into her eggs. A moment later, a snore erupted from them. Zayn shook his head and rubbed his brow-bone. Methodically, he stood from his seat, laid the payment for the food on the table, and hoisted the unconscious Renna over his shoulder. On the way out, he gave the maid several coins for her trouble.

He brought her all the way home like that and laid her on her bed. How long had it been since she'd slept here? He shook his head and just covered her with a blanket.